Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Centrino worth it?

Options
  • 10-05-2004 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm not very well up on my laptop CPUs but I need to get a new laptop.

I'm looking at the Fujitsu-Siemens C-series. For roughly the same price, I have the choise of:

Centrino Pentium M 1.4 GHz

or

P4 Mobile 2.2

I'm not 100% sure what extra the Centrino brings but the P4 Mobile 2.2GHz looks like a better buy to me.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I believe the centrino gives better battery life and comes bundled with wifi and stuff. Couldn't tell you whether its better than a P4-M 2.2 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Centrinos are usually smaller and lighter, and as said have significantly better battery life (they dont need to be throttled as with the P4/AMD chips)... but you pay for that privilege... it all depends on what you will be using it for.. i.e. on the move or as a dekstop replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

I have one of each on my desk...

The P4 2ghz M is like a brick! and i hate it... about 1hr battery life
    The centrino is yum yum.. small .. light.. about 2.5-3hr battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Centrino's are much faster than the Pentium-Ms at the same clock speed. As far as I know the Centrino 1.4GHz will easily match the Pentium-M 2.2GHz performance wise so you'd be a fool not to get it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Thanks for those replies.

Might opt for the Centrino...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, everyones advice has been that you should opt for it. It will be just as fast, and the battery will last way longer. It will be just as fast as it does more work in each clock cycle. It won't run as hot either, so it will be quieter. As long as the laptops are otherwise of equivalent spec, the centrino is the better buy.

Advertisement