Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you still downloading music ?

Options
  • 08-05-2004 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Whats the story, i posted b4, got no reply ? EU has passed the ip law, with "freezing bank accounts" , "raiding homes" etc . So has ireland brought in this law ? doesnt this breach the Data Protection Act ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yes but only legal stuff of course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

[mutter]...NARC...[/mutter]

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Placebo
    Whats the story, i posted b4, got no reply ? EU has passed the ip law, with "freezing bank accounts" , "raiding homes" etc . So has ireland brought in this law ? doesnt this breach the Data Protection Act ?
    Umm to the best of my knowledge, it was only passed on an EU level. It's up to each individual state to then implement the law as best suits their own constitutions. In Ireland there will be, as you point out, possible conflicts with the Data Protection Act which will mean there'll probably be a couple of years before it can be fully enacted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    [mutter]...NARC...[/mutter]

"cough"..second that.."cough"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've only downloaded about three/four copywrited tracks
    that were subject to restriction there's tonnes of good music out there made by gifted amatures/semi pro musicians free to download....

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well I hope they don't find my dedicated 450gigs of illegal mp3's, divx and iso's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Of Course:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

you can download music from the internet now? :eek:

nah, I just get what ever is in college :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I'm pissed so I have an excuse to say:
    "What's the story???" "What's the story???" "What's the story???" "What's the story???" "What's the story???" "What's the story???"
    I fcuking hate that term. Damn Dubliners...
    Anyway, "the story" is:
    So has ireland brought in this law ? doesnt this breach the Data Protection Act ?

No, its't just you......

/note to mods - delete, but think nothing less of me for it please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

So has ireland brought in this law ? doesnt this breach the Data Protection Act ?

That didn't stop them cracking down on the peodophiles.

Still though, I can't see much happening. Even in the states - has anything serious really happened? Haven't been following too closely, but I gather that asides from pulling all sorts of shapes they haven't really done much other than get a few people to cough up some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i better book my room in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

TBH, I wouldnt like to see the gardaì confiscating computers instead of tackling street crime!

And yes, I still download music :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm downloading music right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

Im downloading music AND eating a bigmac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

i'm not downloading illegally i'm simply "file-sharing" with new-found friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by Kobie
    Haven't been following too closely, but I gather that asides from pulling all sorts of shapes they haven't really done much other than get a few people to cough up some cash.

Mainly, they've sued students, who the companies tracked thru their universities, but they, I think, were "major share'ers", ie; people with a nice big account, full of a few gigs of MP3's.

If it comes to Ireland, the first place they'll be looking would proberly be the college's, as its easy to track them down, and then tehy'll go on some of the lesser users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

"Are you still downloading music ?"

Am I using oxygen in my metabolic reactions? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Filesharing is here to stay. P2P usage is still on the increase. Screw the RIAA and friends. Make some decent music, make it cheap, and until then I'm just going to go to concerts, where the ARTIST takes the money instead of some stuffy suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

just get an ip blocker and then the riaa or any film orgs wont be able to scan you whilst u r uploading or downloading-peerguardian or protowall if u want to be pretty much completely safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Never have, never will.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭BKtje

It isnt brought into full effect till next year any way is it?

Theres a minimum time for it to be discussed and while it has been passed it hasnt been brought in as yet or something. Early 2005 iirc. (could be wrong, im trying to remember what i read)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I CATEGORICALLY DENY ALL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Once and for all.....I did not have sexual relations with those.....what's this about again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by gsand
    just get an ip blocker and then the riaa or any film orgs wont be able to scan you whilst u r uploading or downloading-peerguardian or protowall if u want to be pretty much completely safe.

I thought kazaa lite already had an ip blocker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah kazaa lite has one in their some where.

I prefer soulseek ! don't pay for it its a con, its free

give you alot of rare **** and any rap track you into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Am I using oxygen in my metabolic reactions? :D

I dunno?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

nice of you to keep double posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

If your concerned about them tracing you, use newsgroups.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'd wholeheartedly download more if i'd broadband - i really don't care whether it's illegal or not, the record shops and companies are making a damn fortune from selling ****e.

Advertisement