Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage and virginity question

Options
  • 07-05-2004 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi!

As you probably understood from the name of the topic I'm interested in your opinions about marrying a non virgin girl, what do you think about it? does it matter to you? does it bother you that the girl you are about to marry is not a virgin? of course you shouldn't expect women over 30 to be virgins but.... be honest not 30 but it's hard to find a non virgin girl over 18!

I'm not saying that I'm against marrying non virgins, actually I don't care, but couple of days ago I was at this party where they started talking about this and many people actually cared! which surprized me! I'm just interested in what you guys think about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

indifferent.

may i ask: why is she a virgin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Over 18? That's a bit optimistic.

I don't understand why some men have this obsession. I think it was more common years ago. They want someone who's sweetness and light, brimming with innocence and then expect her to be dynamite in bed. Sorry, but the two don't go together.

Originally posted by Auburn
    Over 18? That's a bit optimistic.

I don't understand why some men have this obsession. I think it was more common years ago. They want someone who's sweetness and light, brimming with innocence and then expect her to be dynamite in bed. Sorry, but the two don't go together.

i'd agree that initially sex will probably be really crap - especially if you care / love her - you won't enjoy hurting her...

Originally posted by Karoma
    you won't enjoy hurting her...

Why are my sarcasm detectors going off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

also indifferent.

as for it being difficult to find a virgin over 18, i dont see that as a necessarily bad thing. i mean its over the legal age and theres not too many men or women these days that are of the belief that sex is only meant for people in love and then in turn should only be carried out in marriage.

i've been in love and wanted to sleep with him. didnt mean i was going to marry him.

however i think if people strongly believe in it then fair play to them.

oh and just a question....are u a virgin?

• Advertisement

oh and did anyone else notice that while some men do have this obsession many of them arent virgins?? whats that all about? why should they get their leg over and then refuse to marry a girl unless she's a virgin? doesnt make much sense really.:rolleyes:

no sarcasm.

(since he's not replying any time soon) I'll answer for him-no. he is not a virgin. (....c'mon!)

use the edit function :)

virgins are few and far between .:. 'exotic'. double standards as you'd expect... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

who is not?

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    who is not?

....?...
    :confused:

You.

• Advertisement

yea I'm not!

but i'm a man! it's ok with me!

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    yea I'm not!

but i'm a man! it's ok with me!

WTF?? :confused:

Originally posted by peachypants
    WTF?? :confused:

You may notice that you asked him a question about eightposts up? :D

*vvoooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooom* the point just missed me!

double standards it seems has proven true...

Originally posted by Auburn
    You may notice that you asked him a question about eightposts up? :D

heheh

roiiiight...slipped further into the quicksand that is PI thread :rolleyes:
    goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I don't think being a virgin when getting married is all that important in Ireland. However, in other countries, for example America (especially the so called bible belt) it seems to be more important. Of course they seem to get married at a much younger age-presumably because they were gagging for it.

why thank you auburn i was aware of that. my WTF was related to the "i'm a man!" part of his response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I couldnt imagine marrying anyone I hadnt had sex with, I mean its an important part of a normal healthy relationship.

IMHO you'd have to be a control freak or a religious nutcase to insist the girl you marry is a virgin. In this day and age??? I dont think so.

I'd hope that the poor woman I end up marrying had taught me a thing or two before the wedding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    I couldnt imagine marrying anyone I hadnt had sex with, I mean its an important part of a normal healthy relationship.

have to agree with this... could never marry someone intendig to spend the rest of my life with them and not know what we were like together.. no way.. :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 FireFly

I'm from the American bible belt area...virginity is not really the big issue its how often does one sleep around and the reason why most people get married around here at a young age is because they got pregnant.

Besides alot of guys I know probably wouldn't marry a virgin but are fascinated with trying to score one

Me on the other hand I wouldn't want a virgin guy...I want someone with experience with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

ah c'mere - this should be in AH

how many virgins do you find around these days at a marriageable age? No disrespect to anyone who is.

Most people have played the field for a while, nothing wrong with that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

This kinda reminds me of an expression that a girl I used to work with told me. Her mom had told her "X, remember this. You gotta sleep with the whore and marry the virgin"
    I fell about laughing when i heard this. Just thought it was class!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It wouldn't really bother me at all whether she was or not. If she's not then the sex is probably going to be a bit better... practice makes perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I always got the impression that men who want to marry virgins, did so because they did not want to be compared with any other man on account that they would probably come up wanting, as it were.

And, TBH, most women bring enough emotional baggage to a relationship without adding their deflowering to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

i only ever sleep with virgins. every girl so far for me usually in first year college so if ya go to freshers balls in autumn you get a good pick. lotsa people say they like the chase and stuff and i think a challenge is a turnon. ya gotta lower your standards sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why would anyone keep their virginity until their weddings nowadays? Surely we're past the repressive Catholic nonsense that plagued our country for so long?

I couldn't marry someone I hadn't been in a relationship with for a long time and during that length of time I would expect to be having a sexual relationship with that person.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

this is not a personal issue
    moved to AH
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 villain_97

I think it's unlikely a person in todays Ireland is gona wait until marriage to have sex.I agree with much of what has been said above.In terms of children,I think I would hate to have children outside of marriage so I take precaution while having sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hear hear. Marriage is the time when you stop buying condoms.

Advertisement