Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolverine: Victim of his own Fame

Options
  • 06-05-2004 6:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one that thinks that Wolverine has become a victim of his own fame over the years. I mean sure he's a great character, or at least, potentially he is. But because he's so good, people want to see a lot of him. This means he gets put into shedloads of comics, and most writers abuse him, hell even his own comic is a bad read most of time with unimaginative writing following a list of about 3 predictable plots using new characters/places to make them seem differant.

Even when he guest stars, this downfall becomes evident as he becomes certain stage for the comic, and the story, and title character/characters suffer. The title person/team come across as incompetant fools simply so Logan can look cool/hard.

Also, just because his bones are unbreakable, and he has an accelarated healing factor the guy suddenly becomes invincable, and can beat any enemy. WTF!?!? He beats a lot of people he really shouldn't to be honest. A telepath could just shut his mind down for a start, a telekinetic could wrap him up in steel, and make sure he's claws can't come out to play. A lot of energy mutants would simply by able to fry his body in a large blast because even though he has adamantium laced bones, if there's no flesh on the bones, there's no way he's coming back.

Anyway, rant over, post your thoughts please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles

A telepath could just shut his mind down for a start, a telekinetic could wrap him up in steel, and make sure he's claws can't come out to play. A lot of energy mutants would simply by able to fry his body in a large blast because even though he has adamantium laced bones, if there's no flesh on the bones, there's no way he's coming back.

Telepaths can't even read his mind, never mind (arf!) shut it down.
    No point wrapping him in steel, the adamantium would slice clean through it.
    Even without the claws, he'd be deadly. The adamantium skeleton would give his punches etc a wicked bruise. He'd be able to keep the beat on someone like that for ages.
    Frying him is
    what's supposed to have topped him in Days of Future Past when a Sentinel torched him,
    so I might let you away with that one. However it'd need to be a very quick and intense blast to completely fry off all his skin nads etc simultaneously.

Anyway, I completely agree with you on the overuse of Wolverine. By the looks of things he's going to be in the three new core X-titles, FFS. Not to mention his solo title and being semi-regular in Weapon X.

The Wolverine & Capt America mini just finished, and there's a Wolvering & Punisher out (either now or shortly) ot capitalise on the new film.

Nearly forgot about the Ultimate version, but he doesn't really count :)

It's bloody character overload. He'll be guest-starring in Alpha Flight next :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by Epitaph
    Telepaths can't even read his mind, never mind (arf!) shut it down.
    No point wrapping him in steel, the adamantium would slice clean through it.
    Even without the claws, he'd be deadly. The adamantium skeleton would give his punches etc a wicked bruise. He'd be able to keep the beat on someone like that for ages.
    Frying him is
    what's supposed to have topped him in Days of Future Past when a Sentinel torched him,
    so I might let you away with that one. However it'd need to be a very quick and intense blast to completely fry off all his skin nads etc simultaneously.

Are you saying Xavier couldn't turn his mind off? If not, grand. What stops it?

Are you saying that a telekinetic couldn't pick him up, then force his claws in, and once they're in, place a telekinetic block of air or whatever they form them from in front of where he pops his claws, then wrap him up in a **** load of stell and drop him in an ocean?

And i'm pretty sure there are a lot of energy mutants who could put out a blast sufficient to burn human skin of sufficient size to be able to kill Wolverine.

These things just don't happen.

Note: I am now hitting my 1000th post here on boards ( :D Goe Team). However, something must be noted at this time. I've now been sitting on this couch browsing boards for 6 1/2 hours. Thats right 6 and 1/2 hours. I've gotten up once to turn off the light that was on, as it had gotten light out. Why you ask? Well, you may have noticed I haven't been around lately, reason being my laptop was away being fixed, and once I'd got it back, I just couldn't be arsed coming here for a while as I knew playing catch up with all the missed posts would be a lot of hassle. So there we go. 1000 posts under my belt, over 30 of which I've posted on this little marathon session. What a sad **** I am eh? :(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I did like the earlier (around issues 60-70) run of the wolverine comic because it had him teaming up with jubilee. Since that ended he's just been a monotonous character of "bad guy shows up, bad guy looks like he's got wolvie down, wolvie kicks his ass".

The psychic bit is right - they could affect him but they couldn't stop him completely because of the feral nature of his thought patterns. As for him being able to beat people in general that he shouldn't be able to...he's old! Very old! See the Origins mini series to see just how old. He has experience and he's been trained by both the american and canadian goverments.

He's not just a powerhouse that's nigh invulnerable. He's also a long term expert in martial arts - an honourary samurai, and someone trained in nearly every type of war/battle/fight situation.

As for frying him...well
    Check out not only days of future past, but a few other mini series, including the early Death's Head II issues. In here he is one of the only surviving superheroes in the future who go back in time to stop the ultimate evil being created. They fail, and wolverine is fried instantly from an energy blast from the creature (can't remember it's name). Also note that in that same run, when wolverine first appears and attacks Death's Head II (thinking he's the evil) he breaks one of his claws on DH's adamantium skeleton

I would love to see more of the early wolverine adventures like Origins. I haven't read the wolverine and Cap issues but if they're anything like early WWII adventures that would be cool. It's too often that a stranger comes to town looking for wolverine because they want to be the "Best of the best".

<EDIT> Congrats on the 1000th post :D </EDIT>

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**

I haven't read the wolverine and Cap issues but if they're anything like early WWII adventures that would be cool.

Set in present day/continuity. Supposed to be muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

I have a book in my room someplace about the origin of popular hero's in the differant type's of comics. It says when Wolvie was originally designed he was supposed to be a short, young man with a mysterious past. They changed a few things, but according to the book, one of the orders at the time was to be deliberately vague about his past. Hint, but don't show kinda thing. And while origin did reveal his origins (oddly enough) its one of the few good stand alone Wolverine stories I've read. Also how many times at this point has the a comic declared Wolverine is "on the hunt for clues to his past" or some such tantalising piece only to turn out to reveal nothing at all.

And while yes, I know he's inhumanly trained and experienced fighter. None of his fighting skills are gona do him much good against people he can't touch. Yet he never seems to run into those kinda problems except in limited series where he dies altogether, rather than just say gets his arse handed to him. I think it'd be nice to see him lose a fight in the comics for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monkeymagic

Wolverine's a one trick pony that soon runs out of steam after you've read more than 3 story arcs with him. X-men seems to be almost a probationary comic, people read it for a while when they start collecting comics, then as the stories start to repeat themselves, the creators change to someone you know will turn out muck, or their palette simply moves towards different tastes, X-men is retired and they move on to pastures new. Although to it's credit X-men does seem to stay with you and you're always tempted to go back so you end up keeping an eye on it anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Omega Red beat the living crap out of him in Berlin. But agrred, the same aspect of Wolverine is overused. His best moments are when they do something different (EG. His conversation with Jubilee on the nature of life and death after Colossus li' sis died.) or when he's just part of the whole team.

Advertisement