Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good stuff to listen to....

Options
  • 06-05-2004 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

starting to really get into jazz and listening to lots of duke ellington and a bit of ron carter and john coltrain. What else would i like? Want lots of piano/sax/double bass stuff and maybe some flute as well.

Seen a band called isotope at jj smyths a few months ago and that really got me into it after liking soul/rock and other stuff for years and not really listenin to any jazz for some reason! Wheres good places to go see and whos good? Loved isotope!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

The obvious one would be Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. If you like Duke Ellington have a listen to some Count Basie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

they're not pure jazz, more of a jazz-classical-rock-bluegrass-african fusion (yea, its awesome-personally, i love musical fusions) -Bela Fleck and the Flecktones-i just can't help telling everyone i meet about these guys. may be worth a listen, u may raise an eyebrow at first but after a minute you should be hooked for life (and thats ur warning). their instruments are a saxophone, a synthetic drum kit of some sort, a banjo-yup banjo, and a bass guitar-but thats played by Victor Wooten ;)

i know its a bit far from what u asked for, but since ur getting into jazz now, why not start throwing other genres of music at u? :P

if ur curious to hear more about these guys feel free to pm me
    enjoy :)~batch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

James Taylor - Steamroller

Great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 murt

nu-jazz is where its at: check out KOOP
    Free (legal) download at:
    http://www.mp3****s.com/download_mp3/Koop_Summer_Sun_mp3/30334/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 murt

that link got starred, try this or do a search:
    http://www.mp34u.com/songCard.php?posting=1087&by=source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I've been listening to Miles Davis - Bitches Brew a lot recently. It's an amazing album really, I can't praise it enough. It changed the direction and listenership of Jazz for all time.

Anyone into Jazz should have a copy of it.

As for the Bela Fleck recommendation, yes they are pretty cool. I only have their "greatest hits of the 20th Century" album though. Victor Wooten is a brilliant Bass player.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Although the following are more soul jazz than straight jazz, I can highly recommend:

The Three Sounds (piano)
    Young Holt Unlimited (piano)
    Thelonious Monk (piano)
    Ramsey Lewis (piano)
    Jack McDuff (hammond)
    Jimmy McGriff (hammond)
    Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet)
    Herbie Hancock (piano)
    Billy Cobham (drums)

If you're into the flute try Herbie Mann, Joe Thomas or Jeremy Steig.

As with most jazz artists, their earlier fifties stuff is more straight-laced and it gets a lot more melodic (and, honestly, funkier) through the sixties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you have BB check out the jazz stations on live365 and shoutcast.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

For other bass-centric jazz stuff, you could check out;
    Charles Mingus
    Stanley Clarke
    John Pattituci
    Jaco Pastorius (and Weather Report)
    Marcus Miller (more fusion)

Crush, did you catch the flecktones in Whelans just over a year ago? I couldn't make it myself, but wondered if you knew of any plans for them to return to Ireland at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

I always enjoy a bit of Tom Waits...a bit off the main road, but defo worth it.
    Mingus, Miller & Pastorius - good choices Tzetze...great bass..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

all about the leftfield european jazz for me right now... check out anything by norwegian soprano sax meister jan garbarek, "i took up the runes" is wicked, eberhard weber on bass nana vasconcelos on percussion, lovely stuff.... the album he did with a load of pakistani musicians including nusrat fateh ali khan's son usted fateh ali khan - "ragas and sagas" is sweet too, soprano sax improvisation over classical pakistani rhythms... also on a bit more of an oddball tip the album he did with early ecclesiastical vocal group the hilliard ensemble [its called officium] is pretty essential listening.

anything on ecm recordings is usually worth a listen, go check out keith jarrets "the koln concert" - one man, one grand piano, nothing planned or written or rehearsed before hand well worth it!

south african exile abdullah ibrahim [aka dollar brand] has a great album called african piano recorded live in copenhagen in 59 its wicked,

on a cool and chilled vibe check out some chet baker, and if you can find the film that was made about him just before he died then pick it up its the mutts nuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Originally posted by [cm]tyranny
    also on a bit more of an oddball tip the album he did with early ecclesiastical vocal group the hilliard ensemble [its called officium] is pretty essential listening.

Very powerful stuff, great after a rough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

south african exile abdullah ibrahim [aka dollar brand] has a great album called african piano recorded live in copenhagen in 59 its wicked,
    i agree :>
    his new stuff is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Conorea

I see a worrying lack of django reinhart appreciation. simply the best

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Isotope is Richie Buckley's (tenor sax) band and he has 2 albums of his own. From the Improvised Music Company. If you can't get them in HMV, try Paul Ryan's instrument shop on Eustace St. He has niche CDs like this for sale. The CDs are usually on sale after gigs too. Richie also has played on many Van Morrison CDs and plays on a lot of the major tours here. But catching him in a trio / quartet setting is great. He has regular gigs around town, try the gig guides in Friday's papers.

As a horn player, I also love Pat Metheny's Missouri Sky.
    Other CDs I'd recommend:
    Horace Silver (piano)- Song for my Father (music used by RTE for Irish Masters Snooker, I think it was this year)
    Try some of the early Herbie Hancock (piano). He also played in Miles Davis group for Kind of Blue which I also like.
    Another sax player you could try listening to is John Coltrane who started out with Miles Davis. The album Giant Steps could take a while to get into.

Listen to Lyric on Friday + Saturday at 10:30pm til late. Eamon Lenehan plays some good stuff. There is also Jazz Alley.

Borrow all the jazz CDs from your local library. Gives you a chance to listen to more stuff than you might go out and buy. I'm a little reluctant to spend 20 yoyos on a CD with 4 tracks only one of which I know. (Why are jazz CDs still so expensive??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I always enjoyed the Ronnie Scott Quintet album 'Never Pat A Burning Dog'

Seriously laid back, great stuff. Well worth tracking down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

Kudos on the miles davis and the tom waits someone mentioned there. Another huge recommondation is some Oscar Peterson, one of the best jazz and blues piano artists, the mans a legend. Can't remember the name of the album I have, might be a best of, but its got a blue cover and there's two cds of greatness. I've also heard a jazz version of the flight of the bumble bee that he did which is fairly impressive. Got it off Kazaa I think?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Definitely check out Oscar Peterson alright, the man's a giant! Especially any of his trio stuff (Ray Brown on bass and Herb Ellis on guitar) if you've never heard him before - his 'live at the blue note' CDs are just fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

have you heard the version of the flight of the bumblebee? Id love to find out where it comes from. And the drummer is? Some of the sweetest drums ever. And bass. And piano too obviously!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 suzy

On the Jazz Front Can highly recommend the Art Ensemble of Chicago's Les Stances A Sophie - film for an unmade novelle vague soundtrack; blends soulful vocals and more experimental elements/ free jazz.

Re Dizzy gillespie - Oscar Peterson's album with Clark Terry (one+ One) is worth a look. For newbies I find the jazz info and cross referencing on www.allmusic.com pretty invaluable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I like Tom Waites, a good bit, but haven't actually listened to him for a while,,,,Blue Valentine is a real fave album for me, but much of his stuff, can be very meoldic, and I like that style. I like the swinging jazz sort of stuff by other artists, and some big band stuff, although to name stuff, I have to be honest and say I can't!...mind you the nearest Ive come to swing jazz over here was seeing good ol' Paddy Cole in the Harcourt Hotel some while back, don't laugh !!,,,I really enjoyed it a lot that night.

ciao' amigo's,,,Baggio...............

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Conorea wrote:
    I see a worrying lack of django reinhart appreciation. simply the best

Second that. Also don't forget Louis Armstrong, especially Hot Fives and Sevens instrumental stuff. Really class trumpet - a great antidote to too much cool jazz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Take a listen to some Charlie Parker man!!!

Tune reccomendations:

Anthropology
    Donna Lee
    Blues for Alice
    Ornithology

Ahh the list goes on....

Also, if you're into a bit of the owl piano trio stuff. Keith Jarret does some amazing versions of some standards... and my recommended download for the day.......

Minority - Kenny Barron Trio.....best version ever of that tune they be burnin big time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Fusion251 wrote:
    Take a listen to some Charlie Parker man!!!

Donna Lee

***Reaches for Jaco CD***
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Django Reinhart for some amasing Guitar (The man lost 3 fingers on his right hand and was still the best jazz guitar player ever!!)
    Stephan Grappelli for some amasing Fiddle playing

For the ladies....
    Billie Holiday
    Nina Simone
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Peggy Lee

For piano
    Dave Brubeck

I totally agree with the Bella Fleck advice... he is a legend!! Also John Martin is a guy worth checking out... not so much jazz as.......well.... I don't really know what you class him as but he is worth a listen. Solid Air is about his best album but you can get a compilation too.

Nothing will fuel your fire for Jazz then listening to some live.... check out Sunday nights in the Purty Kitchen in Dun Laoghaire. The anchor band play there and they have different guests with them each week... Great night in a great setting for only a fiver. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Ok Doctor J, you got's me on that one I actually learned that Jaco Pastorious version before, it's real nice....apparently Miles Davis wrote Donna Lee and Charlie nicked it ha ha

but still....Parker is a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

Doctor J wrote:
    ***Reaches for Jaco CD***
    ;)
    You need to check out the Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey version of Donna Lee on the "Bass Extremes Live" DVD - incredible with just 2 electric bass guitars and drums.

Advertisement