Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Heat Probe

Options
  • 05-05-2004 5:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi Chaps,

I recently got myself an ABIT IS-7 motherboard and a P4C chip (2.4ghz). The problem I've noticed is that the ABIT board reads the temp really high, at least 8C - 15C according to my research (ahem.. web browsing). I'm getting to the stage where I would like to try a nice stable overclock, as we all have heard how good the P4C is for this purpose. Before I start, I figure I might as well use the hardcano CPU heat probe to get an accurate reading of my temps, so I know where I'm going. Problem is this, there is not enough room for the probe in the space under the chip (in the centre of the pins) and I've heard this cant be done with Pentium4 chips. I've also heard scandalous rumours of the probe being stuck onto the heat sink, and the underside of the heatsink etc. What do you guys think? Where to stick my probe? (:D)

If I use the heatsink, I guess I'm not getting a 100% accurate reading, so how many degrees should I allow in recompense for this?

Also, I have two identical DDR dimms (512mb DDR400), which on paper were the same spec (same manufacturer and all) but when I got the chip I found that it looked completely different. I think it had a different number of chips too.. not too sure.. definately had bigger chips. I stuck my old dimm in bank1 and this in bank 3 (as suggested for DDR pairs) and it works a treat. However, am I getting the full whack from my DDR? How to tell?

Thanks,
    Wolfie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Nice simple way to find out if your memory is working correctly is Dual DDR is prob to do a SiSandra memory bandwidth benchmark........... will tell you very quickly by your results.

On the temp probe, im not sure........ im an AMD user :rolleyes:
    Generally you should see what temps the board is giving you, take notes of what it is at stock (load and idle). Start overclocking and see how temps go. There are no hard and fast rules about temps, with different boards come different temps....... also CPU, Stock Voltage, And cooling play a big part. Generally keep it under 60'C , if its unstable (ie too hot) it will show up in prime95 and your overclock wont be stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

According to the people on the abit forums, the winbond chip is about 10'C higher than it should be. So use it as your safety margin, dont go above 75'C (really 65'C). I think the sensor is accurate but has a offset of 10'C:dunno:

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Nice simple way to find out if your memory is working correctly is Dual DDR is prob to do a SiSandra memory bandwidth benchmark........... will tell you very quickly by your results.

Thanks for the replies (I was away on holidays for a short spell - hence the delay! :)) Anyways.. I did as you suggested Loki, and SiSoft reports:

Chipset1:

FSB speed = 4x 200mhz (800mhz data rate)
    Width = 64bit
    Maximum
    Bus Band-
    width = 3200Mb/s

However, under the heading for "Chipset 1 memory Banks" I get:

Speed = 2x (400Mhz)
    Bandwidth = 1600Mb/s.....

Eeeeek! This means my dimms aint working in DDR? That sucks, since I bought the same spec and manufacturer from Komplett (albeit a few months apart) and they dont work with each other? The dimms are Crucial btw. Thanks for the tip off anyway Loki.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You should put the figures of the actual result as apposed to the stuff underneath.

You prob just have the Ram in the wrong memory slots for Dual DDR, have a look in the manual it will tell you or someone with the board mite post first. Its usually not 1&2 as you would think :) .

Post your actual scores and that will tell us for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by Wolfie
    I've also heard scandalous rumours of the probe being stuck onto the heat sink, and the underside of the heatsink etc. What do you guys think? Where to stick my probe?
    I put my temp probes right at the base of the heatsink, kinda wedged into the heatsink as close to the core as I can (teh Zalmans structure helps with this). I only record a degree (max 2) difference between the mobo reading and what the probe tells me. Would certainly never put it between the HS and core! Scary thought allright.

Actually, just got my cooldrive back from RMAing it, so I might reassess where I position it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

When pairing DDR RAM module for dual channel mode ya use slot 1 & 3

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

If you want you could do what i did and drill a track throught the top of my socket and feed the wire through the pins and stuck the probe to the bottom of me core this was with an AMD system so Iam not sure how well it would work with Intel but I would assume it would be the same.

Advertisement