Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do other than TKD/Kickboxing in Galway?

Options
  • 04-05-2004 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

i just had a quick scan over the 'clubs in your area' thread... there seems to be feck all to choose from apart from TKD and kickboxing...
    my flatmate was talking about taking up a martial art that's "kind of like dancing"... beginning to get a bit worried about the guy tbh:p
    personally, i'd be into taking up something like ninjitsu... it's supposed to be fairly varied and you get to use weapons.
    can anyone recommend any martial arts/clubs that might suit us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by tman
    my flatmate was talking about taking up a martial art that's "kind of like dancing"...
    Capoeira?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

heh, yeah... he got fairly wound up when i kept refering to it as Crapera:)
    sounds kind of interesting, the fluidity of tai chi has always attracted me... not sure how this would compare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Point Blank Submissions train in Galway, they're a sub wrestling club and a very nice bunch of lads.

Mark Leonard is the contact there, you can email him at Mark.Leonard@Siebel.com

cheers for the suggestion... (and excuse my ignorance if the following is incorrect)
    but i'd prefer a martial art that involves blows rather than being based around grappling

cheers for the suggestion... (and excuse my ignorance if the following is incorrect)
    but i'd prefer a martial art that involves blows rather than being based around grappling

No problem, you're spot on. Point Blank are 90% sub wrestling and MMA. If I may suggest you should give it a try. In my experience a lot of people who were very reluctant to try "that grappling lark" are now some of its biggest fans. (myself included).

You could probably check out NUI Galways club listing. I'm sure there's a wide range of MA clubs there. Not sure if they're all open during the summer tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

There's at least 2 capoeira clubs in galway, one in the Cladagh (Creaven House) and other on merchant road, there are a fair number of judo and karate clubs in the city as well, Kyuoshkai Karate (or how ever you spell it) looks interesting it's more of a hard style compared to shotokan, there's a club out here in salthill.

As for Point Blank, grappling never been my thing,but as mark is well into it, tends to be a bit of it going on in NUIG TKD club as well.

As for Point Blank, grappling never been my thing,but as mark is well into it, tends to be a bit of it going on in NUIG TKD club as well.

Yeah the club started as a few guys from the tkd club rolling a bit but it just grew and grew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

My bro does shotkan in galway if that interests u at all.

yeah, out of all the martial arts mentioned, shotokan interests me the most.
    any idea when new classes start/wherabouts they're held?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

yeah, out of all the martial arts mentioned, shotokan interests me the most.
    any idea when new classes start/wherabouts they're held?

tman,

There are loads of Shotokan clubs in Galway, City Centre, Renmore, Creavan House, NUIG, Westside etc.

Where are you based?

There is also sh*ito-ryu, wado-ryu (used to be) in Liosbaun Est. various Kickboxing Clubs, Muay Thai, Kung Fu etc.

For Shotokan check out this site. http://www.shotokanireland.org/

Give me a shout if you need anything else. Some of the shotokan clubs are JKA/ITKF based, some are 'freestyle' based and some place more emphasis on application, some even include some groundwork....shop around and tell us how you get on.

Damo W

• Advertisement

based in the city centre (well, dominick street area)

i'll definitely do a bit of research on my own to see which would suit me the most, at the moment it's looking like either shotokan or kung fu...
    cheers for the help so far guys, any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

i'll definitely do a bit of research on my own to see which would suit me the most, at the moment it's looking like either shotokan or kung fu...
    cheers for the help so far guys, any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Time to stop making comments about your sister methinks.

ah no, i'd only use my learnings in a self defence scenario... or if you mentioned my mother again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Dominic Street..hmmm

Creavan House (side of fire station) has/had Shi*to ryu and Shotokan (influenced by Koryu Uchinadi), Columbian Hall (Sea Road) has kickboxing, Abby Hall-Newtown Smith (near old ESB shop) has Shotokan and then there is the Karate Club in NUIG.

Plenty close to you to keep you busy.

Damo W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Originally posted by Colm_OReilly
    Point Blank Submissions train in Galway, they're a sub wrestling club and a very nice bunch of lads.

Mark Leonard is the contact there, you can email him at Mark.Leonard@Siebel.com

Mark Leonard is a genuine chap. I've e-mailed him a few times in regards to the vale tudo tournament next month. He seems like a decent guy. Their website is http://www.nuigalwaytkd.com/

Advertisement