Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shin Splints

Options
  • 04-05-2004 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Ok i have shin splints and i have had them for about 3 months now. Have stoped all sports running been one of for about 3 weeks, and still they dont seem to be getting any better. Is there something im ment to be doing or taking to make the healing go alot faster ??

Pls move tread if i have posted in wrong section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

most commen cause of shin spints is having loose shoes.

Make sur eyou tie your shoes up really tight so that they are a part of the foot, and that there is no slipage.

I play hockey, and i suffered for a year before someone told me that. have never had them since.

the reason is that you need to adjust your balance with your toes, so you push down when you are running. this in turn pulls all the muscles across the top of your feet and you pull all the muscles up the front of your calf, giving you that bloody agony!

you may also want to get some insulation soles, just to make your shoes extra snug. additional socks to the trick, but you may get blisters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheRunEd

Originally posted by BadCharlie
    Ok i have shin splints and i have had them for about 3 months now. Have stoped all sports running been one of for about 3 weeks, and still they dont seem to be getting any better. Is there something im ment to be doing or taking to make the healing go alot faster ??

Pls move tread if i have posted in wrong section.

Causes:
    Inflexible calf muscles and tight
    Achilles tendons - place more stress on to the muscle attachments
    Overpronation (feet rotate too far inward on impact) excessive running on hard surfaces, such as concrete pavements
    Incorrect or worn shoes
    Overtraining, or a rapid increase in training load or intensity
    Beginner runners are more susceptible to this problem for a variety of reasons, but most commonly due to the fact that the leg muscles have not been stressed in such a way before they started running.

Self-treatment:
    Stop running, especially in the case of severe pain, if pain is mild, then reduce training load and intensity, and avoid downhill running and running on cambered surfaces
    Take a course (5 - 7 days) of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(ibuprofen/voltaren/cataflam/mobic) available from your general practitioner or pharmacist
    Apply ice to the shin area - for 10 minutes every 2 hours, in order to reduce the inflammation
    Self-massage, using arnica oil or an anti-inflammatory gel, to the muscle only (along the inside of the shin).
    Stretching of the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles. Hold for 30 secs. Relax slowly. Repeat to opposite side. Repeat stretch 2 - 3 times per day.
    Remember to stretch well before running
    Return to running gradually
    full recovery is usually between two to four weeks

#############

Hope the above is of assistance

TheRunEd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yes it is thanks very much.
    Will try some of the stuff mentions above.

Advertisement