Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.NET compiler

Options
  • 30-04-2004 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Since the .NET compiler understands all c and java etc. as well as vb code and converty them all into a single standard binary. I'm curious, is a c program compiled in .NET larger or less efficient than using a traditional compiler?

anyone have experience in coding with .NET? how does it compare to more traditional programming. I've reciently started using .NET I find it runs a bit slow tbh and it's a bit of a pain to get to grips with the object orientated side of things compared to VB6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

.NET is most similar in concept to Java in that a "compiled" .NET program is compiled to an intermediate language that is run by the .NET framework rather than compiled into raw machine code. It is therefore slightly slower than a raw C++ program but it is significantly faster to write a program in .NET than Win32 and a lot safer in terms of memory management etc.
    I've reciently started using .NET I find it runs a bit slow tbh and it's a bit of a pain to get to grips with the object orientated side of things compared to VB6

Stiick with it - it is a very powerful programming system and what you learn in .NET will also be useful in other object oriented languages.

Advertisement