Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer not fully shutting down???

Options
  • 29-04-2004 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

got old computer parts and put them together,333hmz celeron and some old sdram and old slot one motherboard now here is my question when i had Win98 on it when i was shutting down it was in a blink of an eye but as soon as upgraded it to xp the damn fan on processor doesnt go off and only does if i press in start button,,,now ive come across this before but sometime i used to get old message like in Win95(its safe to turn off computer now etc) but this is different...there is nothing in bios as to my problem so anyone any suggestions,,,,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Look at your BIOS, specifically ACPI and APM settings (things to do with automated power stuff).
    Also find out the make and model of the motherboard and look for a firmware upgrade, might sort out problems, and indeed WinXP drivers for the board/chipset.
    Try doing the XP install with ACPI/APM disabled and enabled, see if it shuts down by itself either way.
    Also, it's possible that the cpu fan doesn't go off immediately because it has to cool the CPU after it ahs been running for a while (if the fan just stopped there's a chacne the chip could still fry).

Try the firmware update at the very least, and report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

per chance, was the PSU AT? (you can tell this if the connecter for the systemboard was two sepret parts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

no its an ATX power supply+ board.....ok thanks for info ill try stuff you mentioned and ill get back to you,thanks alot......

just about to update bios and it said latest bios is there because of problems of shut downs in win 2000 so that should fix my problem...thanks alot for help..........

well as the saying does it didnt work so rats,,,,big rats!!!!!....im even thinking of putting back on windows 98se for the hell of it just to see it shut down without pushing in start button..hehe.....ah well i enjoy making a boot up disk of 98 and debuging hardrive to get rid of the NTFS so i can format it back to FAT32.....*cough*!!!!!!i might just be mad enough to do it...go on someone DARE ME......:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

xp thought your pc was non acpi, you have to format it and re-install xp and it should pick up the right setting this time (if the new bios did the trick)

oh try this first
    In Control Panel, double-click Power Options.
    On the APM tab, click Enable Advanced Power Management Support.

hey mukki that worked a treat going into control panel and clicking on APM...thanks a bunch,.....computer shuts down in a flash.....thanks again.,.....u learn something new everyday aint that the truth!!!!

Advertisement