Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality TV gone too far

Options
  • 29-04-2004 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

skynews.co.uk
    A teenage mother is to give up her baby for adoption on a reality TV show.

Five couples desperate to adopt will be seen competing for the child on the programme, hosted by Barbara Walters.

Reality TV hits a new low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i dunno, channel 4's abortion was pretty low... tough...

i'm waiting for my Rape 'documentary' to be aired..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Karoma
    i'm waiting for my Rape 'documentary' to be aired..
    your rape documentary? if i didn't know you i would think you were joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Is this like the truman show???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

i dunno, channel 4's abortion was pretty low... tough...
    That was a documentry, not a game show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

foos.. all of them.. including the 16 year old mother with no respect for her child

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

It's a bit ****ed all right. But they do have an adoption agency monitoring the progress of the show...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Feel sorry for the kid if he/she finds out later in life.
    Imagine the conversation.

Parent: Hey kid, remember I told you the stork gave you to us.

Kid: Ya

Parent: Well, it was a little bit of a lie.

Kid: What do you mean?

Parent: You were first prize on a TV show.

Kid: *Gets shotgun* :mad:

Parent: Is it too late to say I love you as if you were my own flesh and blood

I can see this kid being on a reality show when she's 16... with 5 men... and the winner gets to take her virginity...

And the public will wonder why...
    Originally posted by Rabies
    Feel sorry for the kid if he/she finds out later in life.
    Imagine the conversation.

Parent: Hey kid, remember I told you the stork gave you to us.

Kid: Ya

Parent: Well, it was a little bit of a lie.

Kid: What do you mean?

Parent: You were first prize on a TV show.

Kid: *Gets shotgun* :mad:

Parent: Is it too late to say I love you as if you were my own flesh and blood

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    It's a bit ****ed all right. But they do have an adoption agency monitoring the progress of the show...

oh yeah it's all gravy then... they're always reputable... :rolleyes:

remember to flex those toes kids- toe cramp when 'playing' with your shotgun is a killer..

Well it sounds like it is simply a normal adoption process, except it is being televised.
    oh yeah it's all gravy then... they're always reputable... :rolleyes:

remember to flex those toes kids- toe cramp when 'playing' with your shotgun is a killer..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

It was only a matter of time!

Apparently the "adoption agency" aren't happy with the way the show has been advertised so they changed the ads a bit to make it sound more like a documentary.

There's been loads of complaints from the public too - no surprise there.

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Well it sounds like it is simply a normal adoption process, except it is being televised.

does the biological parent normally interview prospective parents?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's far more reality TV than a game show. It's an issue of the popular 20/20 show (which is, as far as I know, a bit like Prime Time Investigates). What we'll see is potential parents vying for the new baby. The "prize" is just the most suitable candidate, as it would always be. I imagine the anger is that the angle being used to market it is that the baby is indeed a "prize".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

It is a worrying prospect that Reality TV has gotten this far... Proverbially, It's like throwing a dead carcass into a tank of pirannahs (sp?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

This is absolutely outrageous, how can it be allowed? Surely the TV channel is exploiting the 16-year-old girl More importantly, what kind of parents will the contestants be who would appear on such a programme?

I was thinking the same... I'd be very concerned at how the "winner" would treat the child. I'm surprised there isn't an issue of human rights brought up... I mean surely this show shows (as many have pointed out) that a the baby is no more than an object to be won? I think those corporate people have become devoid of all feeling to want to pull off something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

/me looks forward to late night episodes of "The Running Man - Live!" on E4...

Advertisement