Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 and Xbox mod chips

Options
  • 28-04-2004 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a few cheap, medium range mod chips for the Xbox and PS2.

I've to chip a few for people over the next few months - just for playing imported/backed up games.

I think i'll do both Xbox and PS2 with switches, for using the console online.

Any suggestions for cheap Xbox and PS2 chips that suit all versions? I'll be buying in bulk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

dunno bout xbox but i bought a chip for ps2 and it was a nightmare. near impossible to fit so i opted for the slidecard solution.

works perfectly. you just remove the front of the cd tray and each time you wish to play a backup you need to use a bootdisk and lock and unlock the tray with a plastic card supplied.

it hasnt failed once yet and avoids invalidating your warranty if you care about that sort of thing and doesnt risk frying yer kit.

google search 'slide card ps2' and youll find it.

card and boot disk should cost you €30 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

mrmodchips.com

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭coolerhash

the slide card trick for the ps2 is a messy way off doing it go for a magicV 50K chip there the job and no messing with the swap card trick

applex v chip will do ya for the xbox very simple to disable it for xbox live

hope this will help you out

xbox mods PM
    www.xboxireland.tk

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I got my magicV 50k here:

http://www.modchipstore.com

You would need to be pretty nifty with the old soldering iron though. Postage was only $7 and they do discounts for bulk orders

yep you have to be fairly handy alright

:)

xbox mods pm
    www.xboxireland.tk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

There's nothing to chipping the XBOX. The worst bit is getting the top off and the drives out of the way. The Xecuter Lite 2.3b is my own favourite for the XBOX - you should be able to get them now for between 15-20 quid sterling. They come with the header pins for the LPC, so upgrading the chip at a later stage doesn't involve more desoldering and soldering. IMHO, the cheaper ones like the AppleX and the Smartbox Pro aren't worth the hassle for the few quid you save over an Xecuter.

Xecuter Lite 2.3b chip is a good chip but its system of a switch stuck on the back off your console would not appeal to me personally
    only suggested the applex v as its a simple neat chip that IMHO is good chip no probs with having to stick a switch on your console switching off for xbox live is done by your booting up process its mid range value and i have yet to get a problem with one

xboxmods pm
    www.xboxireland.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

with the Xecuter Lite 2.3b can u still play on x-box live?

Yes you can as long as you havn't upgraded the hard drive..

The problem with the AppleX is that bootup. I've never liked it, and the few peple I've fitted them for have said they'd prefer something with a switch. You can't beat a bright blue LED on the fromt to remind someone that the mod is working. And I've fitted 70 or 80 xecuters of differnt kinds - never had somebody complain about having switches on the front... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

@thelad
    thats not true. You can still use your Xbox on Xbox Live after you upgrade your hard disk, you just have to turn off the Mod-Chip. If you connect to Xbox Live with your mod-chip on, you will get banned. If its off, your just a normal user.

Xecuter chips seem to be the most popular alright and they are very good. I got mine a year ago and its still going strong. The switches are on the front, not the back, coolerhash I dunno where you got that from.

Heres a link to the installation instructions for the 2.3b lite using the header pins:
    Xecuter 2.3b Lite

I got mine from Premodded.com and I couldn't have asked for a better service. Although as I said, that was about a year ago

seker consider your self lucky so (-; I read on xbox scene that they are querying hard drive sigs on xbox live and even if hard drive is locked and mod chip off they seem to be able to detect the upgraded hard drive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Best thing to do is stick the PC for online gaming ;) and the Xbox for everything else!

have to agree with the darkman there the pc is the true platform for online games

xbox and ps2 for the rest off yer needs

:)

xboxmods pm
    www.xboxireland.tk

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i think coolerhash was refering to the x2.2 pro which had the switches on the parallel port.

can you show us a link where you can get the x2 lites for £15 chipzilla ?

the hard disk seams to be queried on live - if it's not one of the 3 models that are in the xboxs originally afaik it should ban the xbox - as for going on live with teh chip on - the last few xecutor bioses stop you doing that anyway

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

@thelad
    To be honest I've never used Xbox Live (stupid eircom trigger thing. just need another 412 or so people in my are too register their intersest (so far 9 have :D)) so I don't keep up on what'll get ya banned or not. But looking at the FAQ on xbox scenes live section, they say you just need the chip off and the hard disk locked.

P.S I love how these topics get so far off topic.:)

Originally posted by elmer
    i think coolerhash was refering to the x2.2 pro which had the switches on the parallel port.

Um, no. he did say 2.3b Lite. The guy has a link in his sig advertising xbox chipping and doesn't know the difference between a lite and a pro? I hope that's not the case.
    Originally posted by elmer

can you show us a link where you can get the x2 lites for £15 chipzilla ?

Lite 2.3b:
    http://www.baldbouncer.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=50&osC

£16 in quantities of 50. (Changed by a quid since I was last on there...)
    £17 in quantities of 25.
    £20 if you're just buying the one.

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    Um, no. he did say 2.3b Lite. The guy has a link in his sig advertising xbox chipping and doesn't know the difference between a lite and a pro? I hope that's not the case

get a life dude

i was making a personal opinion in my own right that i would not fancy having a switch stuck on my console be it on the back or the front of the console. i was only making a point that some people would be fussy enough about having a switch stuck on there console
    Anyway thats all im saying on this matter cause its not worth getting all worked up over what type off chip is the best cause at the end of the day they all do the same thing ALLOWS THE USER/GAMER PLAY THERE BACKUP/IMPORT GAMES

And another thing dont go around making apporations about what people might and might not know if you dont know those people or know anything about them specially if that person has said nothing about you or what you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

Hi folks,
    Hope its okay to ask this here (I'm new!) but seeing as you're discussing this and seem to know what you are all talking about - what are the best options for chipping a V3 PS2? I checked the site in your sig, thelad, but it seems V4 and upwards can only be chipped there. I know that the Matrix MXL2 is supposed to work on all models (and it seems to be the best available at the moment by all accounts). Out of curiosity (as it isn't the only place that won't chip V3s), what is the problem with the V3 and earlier models?

If the V3 is a major problem then I'll bite the bullet and get a premodded one (I've seen them on UK sites for just under €300 which is a lot of cash seeing as I've already got a PS2 and would be more including shipping to Dublin). So any advice as to my chipping options? As long as the chip plays PS1 and PS2 import originals then that's all it needs to do.

TIA,
    Dogg.

hi dogg

the duo chip is a great chip for the v3 ps2
    just depends on the condition of your ps2 if it worth chipping it or not
    hope this will help you out :)

xboxmods pm
    www.xboxireland.tk

• Advertisement

Originally posted by coolerhash

get a life dude

blah blah

Keep your knickers on "dude". I was replying to elmer, not you. :rolleyes:

To Dogg...
    Come chippers used to charge an extra £20 to chip a v3, besides the difficulty in chipping them there was an an issue of lazers tending to fail after a while reading dvdrs and cdrs ..that,s why its not worth my while doing them.. but I can put you in touch with someone who can...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

So as not to start a new thread has anyone used this jobby http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.htm. The kid brother only wants to play his backups so I was thinking it would be a cheap/easy soultion. Do the disc's that come with it hold all the info to make the dvd-r/cd-r backup's work and if so is this not a better solution. Because if a new game comes on the market that wont boot is it not just a matter of updating the disks?

Thks

Advertisement