Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This "e-body in the window" malarky

Options
  • 28-04-2004 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Heard alot about this on the radio over the last several days. It's been compared to the David Blane glass box stunt a few times. In all fairness, the guy has a net connection and a mobile phone. How many of us can or do on a daily basis live with these two items alone?

It's being built up to be some marvellous event and showcase for the wonders of modern technology but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe I'm just overly pesimistic? Maybe this is just a waste of time & money?

"It's been done" is one phrase that comes to mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"Padraidh will be ‘clicking to survive’ as he orders all his food online, surfs the net and communicates with the general public through the Internet. "

-- http://www.clerys.ie/press/PR25april2004.htm

utterly pathetic. if he had ONLY broadband+mobile-then perhaps. he can order food ffs.
    and,uh, if he's located in a window of a busy shop on a busy street-he can still communicate with the 'outside world' ... wtf is the challenge?

i don't think it's "been done" - everything remotely similar done before was never this pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I remember hearing that it was done in the US, to a lesser degree. Some guy didn;t leave his house for a year, but lived through communicating online, ordering food., etc, with no other contact with the outside world allowed. At least it was an intended project.

Can;t find a reference to it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I bet they all got really fat, and this guy will get really fat!

"really fat" - after 5 days? i actually hope he does-he's achieved something then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Originally posted by Karoma
    utterly pathetic. if he had ONLY broadband+mobile-then perhaps. he can order food ffs.
    and,uh, if he's located in a window of a busy shop on a busy street-he can still communicate with the 'outside world' ... wtf is the challenge?

i agree, this is utterly pointless, just ONE week like this is no challenge at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Most developers and system admins live like this for years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

my point exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's only 5 days, what kind of challenge is that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    I remember hearing that it was done in the US, to a lesser degree. Some guy didn;t leave his house for a year, but lived through communicating online, ordering food., etc, with no other contact with the outside world allowed. At least it was an intended project.

Can;t find a reference to it though...

Hmm lesser?
    I don't know about that now
    Your man also changed his name to....get this...
    Dot Com Guy - http://www.dotcomguy.com/
    he got himself into a number of adverts, Dell etc etc
    Now he's changed his name back and is selling the brand that he created.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Umm... it's not meant to be a challenge. It's an advertising stunt, promoting the use of technology. That's all. It's not meant to be compared to David Blaine, never was. He also looks daft in there (least when I passed him on Sunday. He had vanished later on).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ixoy
    Umm... it's not meant to be a challenge. It's an advertising stunt, promoting the use of technology. That's all. It's not meant to be compared to David Blaine, never was. He also looks daft in there (least when I passed him on Sunday. He had vanished later on).

either way it was never disputed that it was an advertising stunt. my (our) point is that it is an extremely 'lame' stunt.
    "promoting the use of technology" : jesus! it's sponsored by major ISPs, the government.... fortheloveofmonkeys! surely they could have done something better.. something that POSITIVELY promotes the uses of technology..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

He blew me a kiss yesterday....chuffed to bits for the rest of the day so I was....Ah it doesn't take much really does it...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by ClareBear
    He blew me a kiss yesterday....chuffed to bits for the rest of the day so I was....Ah it doesn't take much really does it...:rolleyes:

:eek:

...absolutely any attention satisfies... jebus... i'll put some in a box and you can take from it as you please...umkay?

Advertisement