Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrgh Basil plants!

Options
  • 27-04-2004 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Ok yet again despite several murders of other basil plants I've bought a new one - so please please can someone tell me how to keep it alive for more than a week.

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah we had one on a window sill for ages and not a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ArthurDent
    so please please can someone tell me how to keep it alive for more than a week
    Keep them away from Manuel? :D

Are they getting light and *some* water? Is the cat sleeping on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I grew one from seed on a window sill and it lasted a couple of years. The ones you get in the supermarket tend to die off pretty quickly - well, for me, anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by ArthurDent
    Ok yet again despite several murders of other basil plants I've bought a new one - so please please can someone tell me how to keep it alive for more than a week.

:rolleyes:
    Try breaking off a couple stems from your new plant, put them in a mug of water and leave them on a window-sill or somewhere.
    Then ... in a week's time when your new plant is dead.. those little stems will have grown perfect little roots of their own... so just get a couple pots and some compost and plant them all!
    They'll have a much better chance of survival, take my word for it!

Fresh basil is worth the wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

I've always found the ones from Marks & Spencers are the best - about €3-4

I buy one every 6-9 months (after that they go a bit wild, and the flavour disimproves).

They need light and LOADS of water (almost every day).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Cheers - thanks for the advice

gonna grow me some baby plants!

:D

Advertisement