Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOP Heat 1 preview

Options
  • 27-04-2004 3:39pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Amp
    Used to going out early so his fearlessness needs to be feared. Even rebuys are freezouts for Amp so he has practice. - 3/1

Iago
    Like so many can't reach the Fitz without falling into the odd pub on the way. Help or hindrance? Time will tell. - 4/1

Casper
    Recently ran Dev rugged in the last home game. Can't be ignored on current form - 2/1

Gerire
    Solid performer with the odd impetuous call. My friend from work still hasn't forgotten your pair of 6s *. - 2/1

Musician
    If this tournament was online then he'd be favorite. As it is the tournament is all his as long as those Aces keep coming. - 3/1

Devore
    What has he got? Could it be AKs, 10 5o? The only thing you can be sure of is he has 2 cards and 2 crutches. Spree of recent winnings indicates that he must lose soon. Nevertheless - 1/1 (fav)

Quozl
    Has revolutionized the home game tourney structures and dragged us into the future of home gaming. But are his poker skills as good as his organisational skills? - 3/1

Henbane
    Music of dubious sexuality plays an important part in Henbanes game. If we restrict to hetrosexual then he could fail to find inspiration - 2/1

Kencleary
    Ken's already got his eye on the King of Kings Championship in September but no matter what the title his record of twice finishing in the money at home games has got to make him a serious contender. - 2/1

* friend of mine (foolishly mind) goes all-in with pocket 10s after flop brough 5 5 5. Ger thinks for a while then calls with pocket 6s?? 6 on the river gives him the better house. Makes a good story though.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Is there an outsider in this heat? Looks like they are all short odds. Amps odds should be 'shorter' no? ;)

Hyzepher

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just having a laugh. Didn't want to offend anyone.....too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

/Jumps up and down
    I can't believe i've to wait a week and a half to play this game, I wanna play now!

Like the odds Musician. Don't suppose you'll actually take money on any of them? :)Even at 1to1 I reckon DeV is a safe bet to make it through. The other two positions I think will be more open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Casper
    2/1 provided Devore takes out all other aspiring large stacks (preferably two at a time). 3/1 otherwise :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Amp
    What does he have? Could be f*ckin' anything. Much like an alien in Halo with a plasma grenade stuck to him, Amp runs at you with his cards shouting "They're coming!" before blowing himself (and quite possibly you!) up. One person I wont be bluffing, he's far too volatile. He has logic in his plays, but its just not logic I can follow.
    He'll either go all the way or be out 3rd hand in. You just cant tell... handle with care.

Iago
    Another newish player. We've yet to see the best from him, could it be his time?

Casper
    All brave now!! A grinder, Casper doesnt seem to bluff much. He'll need to catch cards to not have his breakfast nicked at this table. Has patience though...

Gerire
    Has his moments and has the table time and experience to get to the last 3 without a doubt. Patchy consistency and patience might be his downfall but other then that a good solid player who can shift gears.

Musician*
    Cunning git! Has more aces then Simon Trumper. If I call him I have the nuts AND a Smith and Weston. I'm sure he theives occasionally but I'm damned if I'm going to pay to find out.

Devore*
    Pride comes before a WAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! *phut*

Quozl
    Another relatively unknown quantity... experience at changing game from 9 players to 5 might cause him a problem or two. Has a brain inside his skull and can use it. Definitely not to be dismissed but can he make the last 3?

Henbane
    Another veteran and a patient one too. I've seen Mr Bane cling to chips for third place like a drowning man to a liferaft. Anyone can win this with good cards... Henbane can get there without them. If he gets big stacked early on... he has every chance.

Kencleary*
    Hard man to put out of a tournie. You can beat him down but he bounces back. Knows when to slow play which makes him a danger to everyone (including himself!). Has a Henbane-like ability to cling to chips.

I've marked my choices with a * but to be honest I wouldnt be surprised at any result.... this field is tight enough with a few unknown quantities thrown in. Mix in a little Amp and you have something explosive!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Honestly you ladies trash talk worse than a fucking basketball team.

Oh you know you're not bringing that shit in here. This is my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by DeVore
    Henbane
    Another veteran and a patient one too. I've seen Mr Bane cling to chips for third place like a drowning man to a liferaft. Anyone can win this with good cards... Henbane can get there without them. If he gets big stacked early on... he has every chance.
    I'm all choked up... that's the first time anyone has referred to my poker game without calling me a dangerous, predatory homosexual. I love you too, dev!

Jebus, I go to Iceland for 5 days and all this organisation goes on. I see I've been moved to this heat from what might've been heat 3 (good stuff, I got examage in heat 3 week).

You will all fail. I'm bringing gin and my full canon of purple vein dick jokes.

Amp Underrated due to early drunkeness - now plays sober.
    Iago Newish guy. Don't know enough. Will tread softly.
    Casper Still playing the n00b card to try and lull people into false sense of security. On the back of a couple of decent finishes on thursdays in the fitz and his recent home game form deserves a little respect.
    Gerire Has form. Never played against him. Will be wary of him.
    Musician I will not walk in to his aces, I will not walk into his aces. I probly will.
    Devore The form player at the moment. Is he lucky? Has he got to the skillz to pay the billz? I dunno, haven't seen him play since he hit form.
    Quozl Outlasted me for patience in his own homegame. Can he play on foreign turf?
    Kencleary Hit the almightiest mother of a run of cards at the perfect time the last time I played him. Played them awful well too.
    Henbane Has just realised that coming 2nd last in this heat might be difficult.
    This is my house!
    The word is hizouse - amateur!

Originally posted by henbane
    The word is hizouse - amateur!
    Not to hear Stewie Griffin tell it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Honestly you ladies trash talk worse than a fucking basketball team.

Oh you know you're not bringing that shit in here. This is my house!

Except that you are playing in Heat 2. *boggle* :rolleyes:

DeV.

Originally posted by henbane
    I'm all choked up... that's the first time anyone has referred to my poker game without calling me a dangerous, predatory homosexual. I love you too, dev!

Jeez... make up your mind :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Jeez... make up your mind :)
    I was hoping you would make yours up..;)

How fast do you think you can get away on those crutches?

Except that you are playing in Heat 2. *boggle* :rolleyes:
    Just cos I won't be there doesn't mean I can't slag you bitches off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I see I've been made the rank outsider in this heat, great news. I'm delighted that you have all seen through my pretensions :)

being the underdog has a lot of benefits, what do you call this game again??

Just cos I won't be there doesn't mean I can't slag you bitches off.

/me waits for someone to post

"Oh NO you DIDn't", complete with zorro-type arm movements and finger clicking at the appropriate time

:P

Might as well join the crowd :)

Amp
    Complete wildcard ... what else can I say? :) - 2.5:1

Iago
    Honestly have no clue (I don't think I've played you, anyway) - 2.5:1

Casper
    Luckily slipped through the cracks at MrPuddings games, then crashed during the second half of the free-in Thursday after a phenomenally good pre-freezeout session - 2.5:1

Gerire
    Not sure if I've played against him or not - 2:1

Musician
    Have only seen him play once at the Fitz on Thursdays about a month ago. Scares me as he reminds me of David Brent ;) Going on hearsay mostly, though - 1.75:1

Devore
    What can I say ... last two games I've seen him play in (MrPudding's and free-in Thursday night) he's been an extremely jammy b*stard ^h^h^h^h skillful player :) - 1:1

Quozl
    No clue... know he had a homegame that I was forced to miss (less hearsay about him than others) - 2.5:1

Henbane
    Played against him once (on my first ever game of poker). With the hearsay, though, sounds like a semi-loose cannon - 2:1

Kencleary
    Only played against him once at MrPudding's recent home game; was shocked at the comeback he made in the late stages - 1.5:1

Honestly, after my two bad beats on Thursday night *cough*, I feel anything is almost possible :)

explanation:I got beaten KK against AA (multiple-raise situation with another all-in) and then AA against KJ (he got two pairs or a straight; can't remember)

Yeah you had some foul luck in the freeroll on Thursday and my first three hands stood up nicely (though I did mostly just collect blinds with my I-dont-want-to-see-a-flop hands like JJ)

Jeez... 1:1 odds all round, no pressure eh?? Iago... I wont be underestimating you at all, I know that trick, I use it often enough myself :p
    Amp is also underestmated but may be too volatile for his own good. When he concentrates he can be dangerous. Ken (Spiritus) reckons this is the Heat of Death and I have to agree, I'm not much looking forward to it! (oh who am I kidding, I cant wait. After all, its poker :) )

DeV.

Heat of Death - I like that.

It's definately the strongest line up from what I've seen.

Dev, you wouldn't be underestimating me, I honestly can't play at all, ask Luke or Alex they've seen me in action, it's worthy of sympathy at the highest level :)

In all seriousness I think that the 3 qualifiers in this heat will be as follows

Devore
    Musician
    Henbane

That's presuming of course that Henbane doesn't go on tilt, if he does he could be the first player out. Of the rest I think Gerire and Ken will come close.

Quozl has a chance, apart from the fact that my sole mission in this heat is to knock him out :) He's knocked me out twice now and I will have my revenge.

Not that I'm playing on tilt before I even get started of course....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Heat of Death - I like that.

It's definately the strongest line up from what I've seen.

i actually think Heat 2 is much harder - definitely 5/6 people who could qualify and there is 10 in the heat. Having 10 is a much harder situation than having 9.

Hyzepher

Maybe. I definately wouldn't like to be in this one though.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    i actually think Heat 2 is much harder - definitely 5/6 people who could qualify and there is 10 in the heat.

Lafortezza, Davey Devil, Decker, Samson and Dappergent would have to be considered in the running.... the others I dont know much about. Tough enough alright but then no heat is going to be a walk in the park.... imagine what the final is going to be like!!

Having 10 is a much harder situation than having 9.

And here our illustrious moderator demonstrates the maths skillz he utilises in his play... awesome! :p

DeV.

Just a quick question, in the heats will we be playing for money on the night as well?

I'd be willing to put in an extra €20 for a nightly prize, after all we'd normally be spending around €40 on a home game anyway..

My vote is yes for this, what does everyone else think?

I still think I'll finish last, I just like giving money away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I'm happy to throw in another €20 too - Even if it probably is going straight into DeVs pocket :)

Originally posted by Iago

My vote is yes for this, what does everyone else think?

I still think I'll finish last, I just like giving money away :)

I'm in a generous mood today, so why don't we say you just give the money directly to me and save yourself the trouble? =)

That's a truly selfless gesture on your part Casper, and it won't be forgotten, you've really helped me out mate :)

€20 extra in sounds like a good idea. Makes it a little more interesting and gives us an opportunity to practice those short-handed skills in preparation for the final at the end of the month.

Do we have a dealer for the night? I'll be happy to deal for the evening if I'm knocked out. The standard may fall if that's early and I make a quick run to the offy for extra booze though.

Heat of Death? You people be drama queens. Should be writing for the Sun - Gazza Hazza Wazza SENSATION!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Holy ba-moly batman.
    4 days off-line and the poker forum explodes.

My odds on the heat.

I know none of you so will only play with 2 face cards and nothing else:D

I don't want to be a stick-in-the-mud, but if we use the normal format for payouts, and put in an extra €20 to be won the same night, then 2/3 of us are just doubling how much we're going to lose. It wouldn't be so bad if 4th, 5th, and 6th got something, at least then you have a better chance of recouping some cash.

One alternative would be maybe to take €10 or €20 and have a side-game with the people that get knocked out depending on how it goes....

However, if the majority of the people want to go with Iago's suggestion, I'll fall in line :)

Originally posted by gerire
    so will only play with 2 face cards and nothing else:D

Goodie - another MrPudding ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by casper-
    /me waits for someone to post

"Oh NO you DIDn't", complete with zorro-type arm movements and finger clicking at the appropriate time

:P
    You americans... it always goes back to the hood doesn't it? ;)

Advertisement