Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant Messenger Program

Options
  • 27-04-2004 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

Im doing a project and it entails the following
    Writing a small instant messenger program for a certain company for customer issues. i.e. if a customer has a problem, they click an icon and are immediately put in contact with an operator at the other end and both are able to chat in real time.

Now I know this invloves using threads but the problem is that ive no real experience in writing programs which use threads.

Im just wondering if anybody out there would be able to give me a simple working program with which two different threads are able to "talk" to each other. Maybe, something small such as enabling a user to type a message to the other users screen and visa versa. Baring in mind I already have the GUIs designed so I just need to know how the communicate.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

What language, if its Java did you use Swing or Jpane etc? Shouldn't you be attempting college work by yourself anyways, go to your college library, get a Deitel and Deitel book and crank up your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm in that kind of mood, so I dug up a post I did before about something similar:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1475368#post1475368

That may give you some ideas, or at least an idea on where to start.

Nobody here will give you code. Particularly not working code. How would learn to code if we did it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

if its one to one then just establish a socket connection. tis damn easy. as the man said, get a Deitel book. if its Java then they have an excellent chapter on networking with the kind of examples you need in their Java How To Program

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Harry Lime

www.jabber.org

I looked into this last year, it was pretty easy to set up and write a client to send messages. All the info you need is available there..

We never got round to actually implementing anything for this.. novelty wore off I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

ive no real experience in writing programs which use threads

Yeah. Its really hard to get experience. Especially when you ask other people to write your assignments...

Just to make this post a little useful, i.e. not a complete troll: If you use remote method calling (RMI, CORBA or whatever, depending on the language you are using) then it should handle all the threading for you. Along with all the actual setting up sockets and whatnot.

The trade off is that it is a bit more complex to set up.

And good god man: If I was a lecturer who had given an assigment, so that the great unwashed student body could try and learn something, only to find one of them asking other people to do it for them I'd be peeved. Especially when it came to marking them. But then again, I might have trouble deciphering your username. Many "Seans" in your class?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

There is a very usefull example on the java.sun.com
    Its a Java Applet implemented using sockets which is much easier than going and learning CORBA or RMI (Both of which are doddles). Seek and ye shall find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Take a look at the Smack API for Jabber.
    It's on the http://www.jivesoftware.com website.
    It's p*ss easy.

Advertisement