Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy plumbing and no stop cock!

Options
  • 26-04-2004 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    My mother in law's house has constant noisy plumbing and from what I read it is
    caused by water hammer. It comes from the rising main, and not only when the
    storage tanks are filling - but constantly!
    There are two tanks connected to the rising main, a large one for household
    water and a smaller one for the central heating both with ball cocks. I thought
    I could replace both as they are of a much older type. When I went to turn off
    the mains water I found that there is no stop cock inside the house and that
    someone(?) had tar-macced over the one on the pavement outside.
    Is there any way to install a stop cock on a rising main in-situ - like those
    clamp type connectors. Does the cryo gas that freezes a plug of water in a pipe
    work on the rising main. If it did I could easily cut it and insert a stop cock
    in a few minutes.
    The poor woman cannot sleep at night and I would become her favourite son-in-law
    if we can solve this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    -micko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could get a pipe detector and try finding the stop cock. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Replace both ballcocks with equilibrium types (by Peglers), making sure they have a copper floats.

Oh, watcha gonna do when theres a leak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

call a plumber

Originally posted by pipers
    call a plumber
    Sorry, I mean burst pipe. She (or the delegated party ;)) wouldn't be able to shut it stop cock off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mickot

Thanks for the comments so far guys.
    I have found and almost cleared the tarmac from a small square manhole cover on the pavement outside the house, maybe about 9" square. I always presumed the square covers were for foul waste but I am going to try and get it open and have a look. There is a larger square manhole out on the actual street, so with a bit of luck that will be the foul waste and the smaller one on the footpath will have a stop cock.
    I can then cut off the water a put a stop cock inside the house.
    There is evidence that for previous burst pipes the ball cocks were tied up with string and the system drained. Obviously wont work if the burst is in the rising main, and the poor woman couldn't be expected to go into the attic!
    Probably got A MAN in to do it!
    -micko

Advertisement