Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone here actually involved in hip hop?

Options
  • 26-04-2004 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

well? it seems to me that the other music boards here are full of people who are at a grassroots level involved in some way with their chosen music... what do you do for hip hop? do you mix, run a night, write rhymes, breakdance, do graff or whatever? just curious, it just sometimes seems that hip hop is one of the less "participatory" or "open source" genres out there... at least outside the diehard community of fans...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Used to graff, don't really anymore because...well...I sucked at it.

I have decks, techniks 1200's of course, and been playing them for over a year now. I'm alright, can do a fair few scratchs, but I'm nothing amazing.
    Must practice..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I ued to do a bit of graf but my can control was so poor I just gave it up. I couldn't be arsed making stencils so I just quit.

I'd love to be able to break but it's just too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

made a few beats over the past 6 years... nothing worthy of release though:(
    my bro is well into writing rhymes, we've been talking about doing some kind of collaboration for years now... never actually bothered trying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

I'm a graffiti writer and DJ/turntablist (although I'm becoming less and less comfortable with the 'turntablist' label tbh)...I'm in some crews around Dublin and am DJing/producing for a group (there's 4 of us)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

I make a few beats here and there.. nothing special.
    Wrote a few rhymes too - they're dope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i know a bloke from college who is into it. this is his site www.yelnahs.tk . he better not hunt me down and rape me for giving it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Graff, I'll scan some pics when I can figure out how to work this big scannery thing. I'll stick up a few blueprints too.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

many moons ago, used to DJ, BCM (majorca) hung around with norman Cook and Blade (you wont know him).
    Carl Cox when he was a hip-hip DJ.

been out of the scene for 10+ years, still have my decks and vinal though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

doing "graff" is not being involved in hip-hop. every little ****er drawing tits on the back of a bus seat with a permanent marker can claim to be writing, even if they listen to hard house. unfortunately hip-hop is a product with billions of dollars of marketing money behind it and the package includes mtv cribs-esque blingery and all the trimmings. as a wise man (possibly) once said: "keep it real". i'm very tired and not really sure if i mean any of what i've just typed. good luck anyway lads.

mc work

There's a difference between writing "Micko woz ere" and doing a proper art piece. Graffiti is very much part of Hip-Hop.
    Don't be such a condscending prick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 860E

Yeah, we're involved. here's some tracks SMOKE THE WORLD

Let me know what you think, maybe we can work some tracks together. We are also coming out with a promotional album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I ued to do a bit of graf but my can control was so poor I just gave it up. I couldn't be arsed making stencils so I just quit.

I'd love to be able to break but it's just too hard.

did you go round East wall with "Castro" was it? about three years ago? If its the same Makaveli your can control is feckin piss poor and you were right to give up and may I suggest not not attempting it again:D

of course if you are a different Makaveli disregard all I said

No, wasnt me.
    Man, I think I need to change my boards nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's fairly popular... Macchiavelli :) You gotta love Pac but I don't even wanna think how many people call themselves that.

Advertisement