Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an install file?

Options
  • 25-04-2004 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im working on a final year programming project, and im thinking of making an installer to make it look a bit better, look more professinal etc. Its a java application, is there any way of making an installer that i can put all of the files needed such as the java RE, and all of the classes, and when i run the installer on any machine, it will setup jre and run the application?
    Anything that will do what i need?
    Thanks for your time.
    l5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

You could go with the Nullsoft Installer, never used it but I here it involves alot of scripting. Its free however.

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/features/

Or you could go with Wise Installer, which are extremly powerful, and easy to use. OBDC connections and so forth are very easy to integrate when using the Wise package. Costs are prohibitive however, unless your college has taken out a licence (unlikely).

http://www.wise.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Do Wise not have a thirty day trial? I think I saw that somewhere, but I never used it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

NSIS is probably ok, but I would strongly suggest Inno Setup. Unless of course, you need a Java-based setup for a Java application so it can be installed onto multiple OSes. In that case, I believe InstallAnywhere is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Excelsior JET is great makes .exe out of java / class files, you should be able to make a simply installer using VB im sure theres loads of tuts out there.

Thanks JoePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement