Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

county or country?

Options
  • 24-04-2004 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

im just curious, do people rank their county or their country as more important to them?

if pushed to give a higher importance to one...
    ie. Ireland or Dublin... Ireland or Cork etc. (whatever county youre originally from)

theres prob some sociological sense of place theory to explain it, but thats not why im asking. i just got thinking about it a few days ago and cant get it off my mind.

which would you rank as closer to your heart? 77 votes

county
    0% 0 votes
    country
    9% 7 votes
    both equally important
    77% 60 votes
    i have no heart
    12% 10 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I voted country. I noticed that Dubliners - generally - aren't all that much into county pride (more Dublin City vs. The Rest). It's most obvious in sh1te like Eurostar where all the country folk gather around to ensure that their county's singer wins, Mickey Joe Harte and the like. It seemed very much a county vs. county thing in that show yet Dublin shoud, by reason of its population size, won. Yet - as Louis Walsh pointed out - Dubliners don't really have any county pride and weren't bothered. We still seem to enjoy some concept of Ireland however...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The republic is more important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd like to to be able to vote 'city' rather than county but I'm definetly prouder to be a Dub than to be Irish.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Country

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Country.
    Only GAA players may have a preference to county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

Originally posted by ixoy
    I voted country. I noticed that Dubliners - generally - aren't all that much into county pride (more Dublin City vs. The Rest).

Dubliners don't really have any county pride and weren't bothered. We still seem to enjoy some concept of Ireland however...

i know what you mean ixoy, some dubliners may not feel county pride because of the amount of divisions that dublin has.

maybe more emphasis on northside versus southside, or within that north/south division...suburban divisions or suburbs versus city like pigman II says. dunno really, thats why i posted this, to try and get an idea of how people see themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

thats just cause dubs aint got anything to be proud of....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Country...

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Country - I'm from Cork but I hate the place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Friends, blood (family), county, country. That's how my loyalties go.

I haven' got Corcaigh tattooed across my lower back just yet but I'm proud of where I come from and the environment that moulded me, no matter how small an impact it had on me.

I think Irish people are only recently becoming proud of their country. The tricolour almost seemed like a dirty thing before and only associated with Republicans, where it was only okay to wave it about on Patricks Day. Our Soccer success since the Charlton era has allowed us to wave it about more and become a bit more patriotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I don't care for Dublin tbh. Not that proud of Ireland either... meh

Picked country anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by catsup
    suburban divisions or suburbs versus city like pigman II says.

It's nothing to do with north v south or city v suburb. It's to do with tangible v intangible.

Look at it this way. 100 years ago the land mass you are standing on was part of the UK. Today it is the Irish Republic but in 100 years time it might be just be another piece of land gobbled up in 'United States of Europe'. It's too transient an existence to actually mean anything to me on a purely geographical/political sence.

On the other hand Dublin city has been here in one form or another, sitting in the same spot, for over 1,000 years and that actually means something to me. I know that whatever happens in the future Dublin will still be there even if the concept of Irishness isn't and as such I'd rather be proud of something tangible & living than some romantic notion that we turn on and off to suit or moods.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I think the prob with counties is that a lot of them are split. Dublin obviously, but a lot of the smaller ones are divided by the different towns a lot. I know in Clare that Ennis and Shannon people wouldn't be exactly the best buds in general

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Lived in so many spots I have to say country, although Donegal is good, as is Dublin. Westmeath, however, is a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

is anybody proud to be European? I would say I'm Irish before I would say I was European (though when people ask me where I am from, in chat rooms etc, I always say I'm from Dublin, no matter what nationality I'm talking too). I am some what proud to be European, possibly because it distinguishes us from the Americans, possibly because of the diversity enjoyed in Europe.

I doubt we will ever have a "United States of Europe" as I feel Europes strength is in its diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Country.

I live in Louth, have done for a vast chunk of my life, but I have no particular allegiance to the place.

In terms of GAA, I am a Meath fan, as I am originally from Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    is anybody proud to be European?

Yes, only I tend to notice it more when I'm ouside of Europe. I was in the USA recently and felt very European there and very glad to be European.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Originally posted by Sinecure
    Country.
    Only GAA players may have a preference to county.

thats because Gaelic Games are the only thing that set county v county, but not only GAA players support their county team...I know a lot of people who never played GAA but they support their team to the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

well, theyre equally as important, I value what's going on in Galway as much as what's going on in the the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Country, followed by nation (the Irish worldwide), followed by Europe, followed by county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Originally posted by Pigman II
    It's nothing to do with north v south or city v suburb. It's to do with tangible v intangible.

Look at it this way. 100 years ago the land mass you are standing on was part of the UK. Today it is the Irish Republic but in 100 years time it might be just be another piece of land gobbled up in 'United States of Europe'. It's too transient an existence to actually mean anything to me on a purely geographical/political sence.

On the other hand Dublin city has been here in one form or another, sitting in the same spot, for over 1,000 years and that actually means something to me. I know that whatever happens in the future Dublin will still be there even if the concept of Irishness isn't and as such I'd rather be proud of something tangible & living than some romantic notion that we turn on and off to suit or moods.

That argument makes absolutlely no sense, in that you could substitute Ireland for Dublin and it would mean the same thing. Dublin City was governed by English rule 100 years ago too, and contains alot more English heritage than the rest of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have no heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

i certainly dont feel european, i feel irish when im abroad.

does the fact that were an island nation mean we dont feel as european as, say, the netherlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

country

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's no wonder dubliners have no pride in their county, rip-off capital of Ireland. It's a shame because it's quite a nice city (damn, now where's that picture of the haypenny bridge? :p ). From Cork myself and prefer Cork to Dublin even though it's an uglier city.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by bizmark
    The republic is more important

G'wan the republic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Country, but inside the country, I love my county. This thread confuses me.
    But I voted country. So i guess it must be more important to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement