Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I won the lotto!!!

Options
  • 23-04-2004 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

or so the contents of an email I received yesterday tell me!!

The email told me that I had been "selected at random from different websites, discussion groups and search engines for the final selection and winning"

The 'contact' name is a Dr. Mark Ford, Optimal Management Services, UK and gives a fax number but, no phone number although the person who sent the email is someone called Agbeko Williams.

All I have to do to claim my prize is send my 1) Full name 2) Full home/office address 3) Direct telephone/fax numbers and email 4) passport/identity card numbers. They say this information will be "absolutely neccessary for the processing of your payment cheques, drafts or wire transfers".

I probably won't be joining MENSA in the next while but my limited intelligence tells me that this is very obviously a scam and I have no intention of sending any personal information (although I am tempted to make up ficticious addresses and passport number to see what the next response is) but I'm just curious if anyone else has received this email or if they know anything about Optimal Management Services. Various google searches have found nothing about this company or Dr. Ford.

Can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

You are so lucky! Congratulations! I never win the lotto :(

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You just *know* some muppet out there is going to fall for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

passport/identity card numbers.

Identity theft is the new black, i hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

If I had a cent for every time I've been told
    "YOU'VE JUST WON $10,000!!!!!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If I had a cent for everytime I was told I could add 3 inches or double my breast size....having a huge wang and a nice rack would be sorta weird methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

My mum "won" 60000 in some German lottery, or so the letter she got in the post yesterday said. In order to have the prize sent out to her they needed, creditcard number, security code, expiration date ect ect. I mean surely everyone knows these things are scams now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    If I had a cent for everytime I was told I could add 3 inches or double my breast size....having a huge wang and a nice rack would be sorta weird methinks...

you would have all the fun you ever wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

sure wasnt there a show about a month ago on bbc, some old dear in England got a lettersaying she had won 50 grand, she must send 1000 to the companie for administratvie purposes before she got the winning, she sends it, gets FA and whistles to the BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TRIAX

Originally posted by SheroN

I think you mean 419 ? maybe

Checkout www.ebolamonkeyman.com for some funny scams backfired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"What you do is, see, you give 'em all your credit card numbers, and if one of 'em is lucky, they'll send you a prize!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by neev
    If I had a cent for every time I've been told
    "YOU'VE JUST WON $10,000!!!!!!!!"
    You've just won ten grand. Put another penny in the jar.

LOL @ Sarky. The Simpsons really does provide us with a quote for every occasion.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

it's true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

You gotta love Nigeria...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

you gotta love cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

@blondie83,

I got that letter your Mum got aswell! I get them most months, and last month I filled it out (the free lotto entry - NO credit details etc) and sent it back for a laugh as it was freepost. I actually WON. Seriously.
    I now have in my posession a cheque made out to me to the value of €1
    I'm too embarassed to lodge it, but it looks cool stuck to my noticeboard :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cheques are more impressive when they have multiple exclamation marks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

with ten thousand dollars we could be millionaires!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I always get those stupid letters.

Must be on some damn mailing list or somesuch...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Wait a minute he's not the wallet inspector.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Originally posted by WizZard
    @blondie83,

I got that letter your Mum got aswell! I get them most months, and last month I filled it out (the free lotto entry - NO credit details etc) and sent it back for a laugh as it was freepost. I actually WON. Seriously.
    I now have in my posession a cheque made out to me to the value of €1
    I'm too embarassed to lodge it, but it looks cool stuck to my noticeboard :D:D

Really? I never thought they'd actually send out anything. I'm going to send off for it now, It would be cool to have a one euro check - another useless yet fascinating thing to stick up on the wall of my bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did it actually mention the word "lottery" or "Lotto" - they could be breaking the Lotteries Act and / or trademarks. Ask him for a copy of his lottery licence "so you can get it countersigned by the local sergeant in compliance with the Lotteries Act" ;)

Just send their details to:

Rubber Glove Squad,
    New Scotland Yard,
    Broadway,
    London
    SW1H OBG

and

Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation,
    Harcourt Square,
    Dublin 2.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah **** your so lucky I never win the lotto, shame really :mad:
    No where near as good as the 419 space story on The Reg awhile back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

you know those things that keep falling out of mag's when you buy them ? dose anyone actually win on those things also ?

just wondering ? ive never heard of anyone winning anything ? and also has anyone ever won more then €150 on a scratch card ( winning st. / all cash gold etc.. )

working in a shop ive always wondered this .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got a crappy pair of speakers from the first one i ever sent away. was the last one i ever sent away too.

Advertisement