Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallpaper paste is so so sticky....

Options
  • 22-04-2004 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Stripping wallpaper is easy, it's cleaning the paste off the wall that's the real problem!
    I want to paint so I just have to have them totally paste-free.

Over the years I've used anything from Fairy liquid, to Jif (it *was* Jif in those days.... ) to dish-washer liquid at the moment.:rolleyes:

Anyone recommend anything that *really* works... and really cuts through that slimy sticky gunge that the old paste has turned into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I eat wallpaper paste and find it has no adverse effects on my health.

Use a solvent such as Acetone, or methanol id say, used motor oil might work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    I eat wallpaper paste and find it has no adverse effects on my health.
    You wanna come 'round Saturday and lick the walls clean? :)

Hmm... so where do go to buy Acetone?
    Or is it sold under some other name in my local DIY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Have you thought about putting up lining paper? (cheap plain wallpaper used as a base for painting), especially if its an old house, it will make a perfect surface for painting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

sugar soap and elbow grease

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Was hoping to replace the elbow grease with some solvent with super-powers, actually....:(

Any more suggestions for an easy way...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lining paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

The best way I have found is to use a wallpaper steamer it turns the paste to gunge so it is real easy to scrape off and then use sugar soap to clean the walls after. You can get one in Woodie’s or Atlantic for around €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MrHappy

Use Sugar Soap! Works great!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Dear god what is the world comming to when people are asking advice on how to take wallpaper paste off the wall. Put a bit of elbow grease into it you waster! And if you werent on here posting pointless threads then you would already have most of it off. NOW GO AND DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Muzz,less of the personal abuse, Sil vous Plait.

• Advertisement

Hehe... I'm half the way through half of it now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

dont use lining paper as when you put it on if you use even slightly too much paste it gets massive bubbles in it. also if you dont line it up correctly by overlapping slightly it shrinks when dry and leaves obvious lines in between sheets. also you will just be ending up where you started with more paper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well i know this thread is old but on getting paste off walls as some said sugar soap but this is used mainly for getting rid of cigerate yellowing to walls and ceilings and greece etc and from woodwork also.i found best is to just get most of paste off and let wall dry, then give walls a good sanding.

The problem u might encounter after a while is with emulsion being put on walls and not enough paste was taken off emulsion paint being mainly water based it works up paste again and because the paste is acidic it can in time break down the paint and it starts to flake,(ever see someone wallpaper and not wipe excess paste from ceiling then after a while the white ceiling where it was painted starts to flake).Anyway as far as lining paper best way to do is when your joining seems leave a milimeter or so and fill the little gap with polyfiller so it looks solid...as far as eating paste would not recommend it especially if its the old type paste like Procea....very harmfull,especially while ur mixing it too when dust from paste goes into air....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd use a flame thrower

Walls may needa bit of cleaning down afterwards (if the house is still standing), but it'll get wid of any paste residues......

Originally posted by mad m
    The problem u might encounter after a while is with emulsion being put on walls and not enough paste was taken off emulsion paint being mainly water based it works up paste again and because the paste is acidic it can in time break down the paint and it starts to flake....
    Yes yes YES!
    Isn't that *exactly* why I needed to remove ALL the old paste!

Oh well!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement