Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck To Anyone Playing Tonight in WSOP Sattelite

Options
  • 22-04-2004 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

just to say good luck to anyone playing in the wsop sattelite tonight, Davey Devil, Dr. Dodger and doubleRquit are the peeps im aware of who are playing

so anyone else good luck!!!

question though... would you take the 12000 or go to vegas people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

*lol* i'd love to go to Vegas but if they were waving a big sack of notes in my face to the tune of 12k i'm sure i'd cave and take the cash :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

I'd take the cash without a second thought ... that's like half a year's salary tax-free

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

I'd have to take the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

If I win tonight I promise to play the World Series - all I need to do now is win the ticket. Oh Kratta - you can come to Vegas as my bodyguard when I take the millions home. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

well Davey i think id have to go with you and organise everything for you... kinda like how tom cruise uses dustin hoffman in the film rainman... ill get your hotel and transport in order cos im not sure you could do that by yourself ya know.. anyway good luck and win that ticket
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Good luck all!! Wish I was there but I missed all the qualifiers with this shaggin' leg :(

I'd take the cash, bank it, take 2K and go for a blow out holiday in Vegas at the time of the WSOP and play every satelite I could find to try and win another ticket :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by DeVore
    I'd take the cash, bank it, take 2K and go for a blow out holiday in Vegas at the time of the WSOP and play every satelite I could find to try and win another ticket :)
    This man speaks sense. I'd be over there so quick playing in $100 qualifiers safe in the knowledge that I had €7 or €8k in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

First table got drawn with Norman and Roy Brindley, thinking this should be fun. Playing well in the early stages starting stack was 3500, built up to about 7500 by the end of level 3 - could have been 12000 but Norman beat my top pair 10's with ace kicker - he hit 2 runners for a straight after him going all-in with 10's and a queen.

Moved tables had about 9500 and blinds were 400/800. Look down and find the Aces. I'm in early postion and i want abitta action so I make the minumum raise to 1600. Fold's around to Unknown on the button calls (10000 ish stack) and Paddy Hicks (14000ish) on the bb calls. Flop comes down Ks, Qs, Js. Dangerous flop for the aces. Paddy checks to me - I'm thinking Paddy could have anything since he only called from the BB. Unknown must have a hand because he called the 1600 - I don't put him on big hand because he would have re-raised, so I'm think maybe pair of 7's or 8's or Ace with a decent kicker. Although the spades are showing I'm not too afraid of them and figure a big bet would make a player fold the flush draw. I move all-in for the remaining 8000 thinking I'm in front I don't want anyone calling to try hit a spade and hey I've still got a chance of a straight. Unknown goes all-in and Paddy calls - uh oh me thinks. Unknown turns over QQ to make trips and Paddy calls with As, 4x hoping to hit a flush. Turn bring's a spade to make Paddy a flush and unknown hits a full house on the river. I go home.

Suppose on reflection I probably could have played it better but those damn aces are so hard to put down especially as no raise had been put in. So any suggestions on how I could have played it?????? All replies are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Unfortunately with my limited experience I have no suggestions for you (I'm really curious to see what the other players think, though). The only thing that comes to my mind is the first few times I played with the other guys and got told "don't slow-play aces" :o

Congrats on getting to where you did though; i'm sure it was extremely stiff competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I think you were right to slow play them. When you are reasonably short stacked you need to do something to double up. However, and I know its very hard to do, you had to consider dropping the bullets when such a dangerous flop came out. I would probably have checked to see what unknown did and if no spade came on the turn would then have bet. Still its easy to say that sitting in my office. When you are in the heat of battle its a lot tougher to do. Also if you had won the pot there and then we would be saying, 'great bet'. Nice to play in it anyway. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Well you did better than me! I had the eh dubious honour of being the first player knocked out last night. :) Very first hand of the night I lost several hundred when my Ace-Jack fell to an Ace-Queen and that set the tone for the night really.

The hand I went out on I flopped top pair thought I was doing ok, somebody raised 500, I went over the top with an all-in hoping to take the pot there and then - no chance as I got an immediate call from the raiser who had flopped top two pair and i'm putting on my coat.

Several people had re-bought by this point but I didn't bother re-buying as I had won my ticket in a satellite earlier that night and didnt feel like dropping another €100 into a hopeless cause and thats how I became the very first player to leave last nights game :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Interesting about the Aces. In the freebie at 6.30 I had mixed fortunes. Towards the latter stages low on chips I was utg and looked at my cards to see bullets.
    Because I was low on chips I decided to see if I could win more chips than usual and flat called. Unfortunately only the small and big blinds stayed in. Flop brought 2 kings but I was committed at that point and went all-in. Both folded.
    Next hand, big slip up. I look to see bullets again!! but this time I say "raise" only for the dealer to say "no mate it's your big blind", oops.
    Gerire is next to me and goes all-in undetterred by my accidental slip. He gets one caller so I go all-in too, for very little extra. My Aces held up so I thought my luck had improved. Unfortunately for me I saw no decent hands again until we were down to 10 players. I have a pair of 10s with only about twice the big blind left. All-in called by pocket kings. Bad enough only the flop gives him a poker of kings.
    So I'm out in 10th and off to try my luck in a single table tourney with kencleary. Yet again I do well early on only to get knocked out by ken in 3rd. Looks like you're my bogey player ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Anyone know who actually won the ticket to Vegas?
    I hope Norman did!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Muso, you're world famous ability to pull aces didnt help!? whats the world coming to?
    Running pairs of bullets.... you know what the odds against that are? 1:48,841 approximately. lol!

And then he complains about his luck?! :)

Seriously though, I hate those nights when just nothing you seem to do comes off... its the worst game in the world then...

Would love to know who's going to the WSOP from the club...

Davey, I wouldnt have gone all in with 3 spades showing, its too risky but I wouldnt have dropped them either. I would have bet out a decent bet and see who bit (more then the 1:4 odds of a flush draw to make the pot odds not worth it to anyone holding a spade). They have to fear you having made the flush already. As it happens you'd have been winged but still in the game as if unknown goes all in and is called (as looks likely) you drop your aces and lick your wounds.

Its easy to call the score when the game's over though... *shrug*

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

musician... amazing...
    i was sitting to your left when you picked up those aces.

i liked that table.. i got moved and in my first hand i doubled to about 10,000
    by betting big into the chip leader holding Q6h with Qs 4h 8h on the flop.
    :confused: not quite sure what he was thinking!!??

then the dreaded move again and went out 18th or so
    making a stand against another chip leader trying to steal my 1500 blind.
    had A5diamonds so i called against his A8 offsuit....shight

To add insult to injury he flopped another 2 eights...

so yet again the final table eludes me... bah :( !!!

Advertisement