Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kevin Smith flim ???

Options
  • 21-04-2004 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

When is kenin Smiths new movie Jersey Girl getting released over hear. I cant find the date anywhere. Does anyone have a clue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Neil Cat.

Oops Thats meant to say Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Kevin Smith was that character Silent Bob in some movies was'nt he? Dogma and Mall Rats were some of his movies.

I'm just not sure thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by Kain
    Kevin Smith was that character Silent Bob in some movies was'nt he? Dogma and Mall Rats were some of his movies.

You're right ... I love his movies! Hope the Bennifer combo haven't ruined Jersey Girl :D

June 25th excellent. Yeah Kevin Smith is a brillant director. I won't worry about the affleck/lopez thing because (i think) she only has a small part in it, anyway with Smiths skills he can make anyone look good on screen, dont forget he let Alannis Morisset play GOD in Dogma!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah but she had no lines.

Anyway, looking forward to this. I've enjoyed his previous films, hopefully this wont let us down. Affleck was good in Chasing Amy and Dogma, so I wouldn't be too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    You're right ... I love his movies! Hope the Bennifer combo haven't ruined Jersey Girl :D

Both Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have proven in the past that they are fine actors. That they are more high profile now, and have had a relationship, should make no difference to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

This film is going to be nothing like his previous ones, its gonna get a 12s cert over here and is going to be something of a romantic comedy with no sign of dick and fart jokes. Its about Ben Affleck playing a single parent struggling to bring up his kid and finding love:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 watsrealwatsnot

Man Kevin Smith has been going down hill ever since me made Clerks which was an awesome film. Mall Rats was crap but Chasing Amy was good. Jason Lee was hilarious in it. He needs to return to the kind of writing in Clerks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Yeah, Chasing Amy is a really good movie. I've never seen Clerk, i really should!

• Advertisement

yeah u should but u cant rent or buy it in dis country so ur BARRED from seeing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Man, that just sucks the big one.

Originally posted by watsrealwatsnot
    yeah u should but u cant rent or buy it in dis country so ur BARRED from seeing it

What the hell are you talking about? Clerks is banned? I think you'll find that all of Kevin Smith's jersey trilogy (of five films) are available in Ireland and are all rated 18s with no cuts. Clerks isn't yet available as a Region 2 DVD but the video is still available though, as many videos are these days, it's tough to find.

Xtravision in Ballyroan in Dublin have it to rent on VHS.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    Both Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have proven in the past that they are fine actors. That they are more high profile now, and have had a relationship, should make no difference to that.

Are you serious? I don't mean this nastily, but every film I've seen with them in it has suffered for having them, with only two exceptions:

a)Dogma, because Affleck's character dies a satisfyingly gory death at the end, and
    b)Mallrats, because Affleck's character ends up as someone's bitch in prison at the end.

Neither of them have proven that they have any acting merit surpassing any number of other less famous characters, imo.

Regarding Kevin Smith films, I wasn't at all keen on Chasing Amy. I enjoyed Clerks, Dogma and Mallrats though. J&SB was a bit, well, trying too hard to be juvenile, but had its moments, I suppose. I've no intention of watching Jersey Girl, though.

Originally posted by Fysh
    Are you serious? I don't mean this nastily, but every film I've seen with them in it has suffered for having them, with only two exceptions:

a)Dogma, because Affleck's character dies a satisfyingly gory death at the end, and
    b)Mallrats, because Affleck's character ends up as someone's bitch in prison at the end.

Jennifer Lopez - Selena, U-Turn, Out of Sight, The Cell and, reportedly, Jersey Girl.

Ben Affleck - Dazed and Confused, Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting, 200 Cigarettes, Dogma and, reportedly, Jersey Girl.

Both Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have proven in the past that they are fine actors.

I refer you to Gigli ... worst movie ever :rolleyes:

The best way to describe the travesty on the film industry that is Gigli:
    got suckered into watching that bennifer movie and I started bleeding from the ears and eyes, which was a relief as then I couldn't see or hear the damn movie.

as taken from Bennifer ... check out the first definition of Bennifer :D:D:D

I refer you to Gigli ... worst movie ever :rolleyes:

The best way to describe the travesty on the film industry that is Gigli:
    got suckered into watching that bennifer movie and I started bleeding from the ears and eyes, which was a relief as then I couldn't see or hear the damn movie.

as taken from Bennifer ... check out the first definition of Bennifer :D:D:D

Refer all you want, it doesn't change the performances given in the films I mentioned. And those who have actually seen Gigli know that it isn't as bad (though it is a bad film) as it was popular to say it was. And the performances in the film certainly weren't its weak point.

Refer all you want, it doesn't change the performances given in the films I mentioned. And those who have actually seen Gigli know that it isn't as bad (though it is a bad film) as it was popular to say it was. And the performances in the film certainly weren't its weak point

True, they've been in some good movies! But the point is that the only movie I've ever seen them in together is so bad, that to give it a 1/10 rating would be doing every other 1/10 movie an injustice! It and they were complete & utter sh!te ... but that's just my 2 cents

True, they've been in some good movies! But the point is that the only movie I've ever seen them in together is so bad, that to give it a 1/10 rating would be doing every other 1/10 movie an injustice! It and they were complete & utter sh!te ... but that's just my 2 cents

I was talking about the performances rather than the movies themselves. Did you really think Gigli was that bad? I mean, it was a **** film but i've seen plenty that are just as ****. And plenty more that are a lot worse.

Did you really think Gigli was that bad

Even though I said got suckered into watching that bennifer movie and I started bleeding from the ears and eyes, which was a relief as then I couldn't see or hear the damn movie as a laugh, I wish that had happened!

No words can describe how much that film sucked!!

But I rate Kevin Smith as 1 of the better directors in the comedy genre, so I hope he directed his ass off to get a good performance from them [collectively]!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Jennifer Lopez - Selena, U-Turn, Out of Sight, The Cell and, reportedly, Jersey Girl.

Ben Affleck - Dazed and Confused, Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting, 200 Cigarettes, Dogma and, reportedly, Jersey Girl.

Every film in that list that I enjoyed, I would have enjoyed more without the affleck/lopez contribution. I didn't say every film they did sucked; merely that they didn't *contribute* to the film in any way that any number of other actors could.

Perfect examples would be Dogma, Out Of Sight and the Cell. Although I find the Lopez component the more horror-inducing of the two, they still both serve to put me off any film they're involved with.

Edited 'cause I'm a muppet and still press "Submit" without checking for typos. Damnit.

Originally posted by Fysh
    I didn't say every film they did sucked; merely that they didn't *contribute* to the film in any way that any number of other actors could.

Again, I was speaking specifically about the performances in the films I listed not about the quality of the film overall. In Lopez's case I thought her role in Out of Sight was nothing short of stunning. Though i'm sure there are others who could have played the role, off the top of my head I can't really imagine anyone.

I’m going back to some comments made earlier.

WATSREALWATSNOT: how can you say that Smiths movies have gone down hill since Clerks. Mallrats, while slated by the critics, is now a cult film for many it was the first Kevin Smith film they saw. But I have to agree that he does seem to make a slightly better film when he has a smaller budget (see Chasing Amy) and Jersey Girl will be made on a similar budget.
    It may seem that I am just ranting on but I am a huge fan of his movies, I have Jay @ Silent Action Figures for crying out load but his films are great fun to watch.

The new film is going to be completely different it won’t be like the rest I can assure you that because there won’t be any of the old characters in it, I doubt Quick Stop or the Mall will be even mentioned. He has literary closed the book on the ViewAskew Universe (See very end of Dogma after the end credits to see what I mean).
    Fially I pretty sure you can buy all Kevin Smith flicks in Ireland I got my copy of Clerks in Forbidden Plant in Dublin and most if not all Extravision have all his films in stock.

wat i mean is u cant get Clerks on DVD in Ireland and dont say u can cause ya cant. Some might find Mallrats a cult classic but they are just deprived idiots got havent seen any of his good films. Im kinda glad hes changing his characters cause they were getting a bit stale and were becoming unfunny. I'll dfr be going to see Jersey Girl but il be holding my breath on how good it is. Hopefully it wont suck. Hes too mainstream at the moment. He keeps doing these small crappy spots on the Jay Leno show and they're NOT funny at all.

I know you can't get it on DVD, because it hasn't been released. That's the distributor's problem, there is no "barring" as you said. We've suffered poor Viewaskew releases here for years. Even when Chasing Amy and Mallrats were finally released here they came in the most horrific packaging i've ever seen. Particularly Mallrats. The Dogma special edition is still not available either. Clerks will finally see a DVD release over here once the ten year anniversary edition is completed.

But it remains available on VHS.

And I think Mallrats is his most accomplished film visually. I've always thought it was a beautifully shot film, though i've heard Jersey Girl is too.

the barred thing i said was not about the film, it was about the user Begbie. I know him and it was a joke. U should read my post again cause i think u read it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

what is wrong with you people.mallrats is not just a cult classic it is an excellent film which stands up alongside his other work.check out the commentary on the special edition dvd.his films are great but if you want something really funny check out the view askew comics he did for clerks and jay and silent bob,pure gold!

other good news is that after the owner of miramax personally asked him to make the green hornet into a movie he has finally agreed.at first he didnt want to because he was afraid of ruining one of the greatest comic's of all time but now it looks like all systems go with jet li and george clooney both lined up to star in it.sounds damn cool to me

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

Gigli aside. the man has made some true cult classics with the view askew cast. however without them i feel there is a few questions to be answered with the release of jersey girl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

You can get Clerks on DVD from www.cd-wow.com.hk for region 0. Will play on any dvd player and dirt cheap too. At this stage though the anniversary edition is probably worth the wait.

Advertisement