Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oooh look at the lights

Options
  • 21-04-2004 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

As of April 22, 2004, anyone who logs onto the website www.dublinelevation.net will be able to design enormous light sculptures in the sky of Dublin. The website will have a 3D virtual model of the city where participants can make a light design using 22 robotic searchlights placed around O'Connell Street. As submissions arrive from the Internet, every fifteen seconds a new pattern will be displayed in the sky. With 154,000 watts of power, the beams of light will be visible from a distance of 15 kilometres. Participants' names and dedications will be shown on a large screen in the street and on personal web pages that will be made automatically for each design. The website will also present a live broadcast from four video cameras placed around the city centre so that remote viewers can see the current state of the installation.

http://www3.alzado.net/edublinpress.html

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

saw them last night,

hand no idea what they were,

do now.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

looks brill, think i'll go out n see it tonite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

That's really cool, reminds me of something I think in Switzerland or Japan where people could send text messages to the art installationwhich converted the data into various coloured lights and moving beams.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

just 5.5 hours apprx 'til mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

thats a really really good idea , saw them the other night , very purty :) Wonder how long they staying for ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Ah, that explains it.

I was listening to the Adrian Kennedy show last night, and himself and Jeremy Dickson were wondering where the lights were coming from. They asked listeners to call in and tell them what they were.
    I tried to look out my window and catch a glimpse, didn't see anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

purdylights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It's very cool. I can see them from my attic window all the way out in north county Dublin. I didn't think they'd be that bright.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

theres one on top of the irish nation wide bank on o connell street, afaik

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

web site didn't work last night :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

wow, those are purdylights alright. Would say they are more spectacular with a bit of rain to reflect and refract the beams. will be in town tonight so i'll have a good drunken gander at them. The censor free big screen where you can leave messages might be just as if not more entertaining...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

was in last night.. bit of fun, some interesting ones.. most are just a standard "point design" though, screen is a bit of fun... really great to see something like this in Dublin, adds a bit of life and culture, although most people didn't seem too interested or just didn't know what it was about, and on another point, OConnell St. is starting to look really great these days... roll on the day its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

2.10 am tomorrow morning mine is scheduled for... oh i cant wait....

the website is pretty cool they way you can design your own light show sequence...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

was gonna upload my own piece of art but the poxy file manager doesn't accept bitmaps! Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

What a horribly programmed pattern interface though. I'd love to play around with it, but it's far too messy to use with much of a degree of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Damn, they are so addictive to look at! I came all the way around the M50 at 1.30 last night and was watching them all the way. Sorry to anybody else who was driving at the same time as me, send the damage bill to the Department of Arts, Sports and Tourism.

I don't like the website, I gave up trying to design mine after about 5 minutes. All I was trying to do was spell a word with the lights, but I can't figure it out.

I'd love to be flying into Dublin on a clear night looking at the light show from a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Can see them a hell of alot further than 15km, I live in Blessington Wicklow and could see them last night. Pretty kewl !

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can see them in Bray too. Whats that...12miles...?km. So Trollage is possible on the censor free board......Reh......healy....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm surprised no has sent in a boards related message to the big screen.

Free Sangre anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was looking at them last night and one of them formed a love heart. I am finding it very hard to form anything with the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Tried to submit one but they arent accepting any more submissions till 5.30am :(

Had a lovely message to the thieving feckers in Inchicore who have broken into my car twice in the past 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've got one for the board!! And seeing as the board is in the heartland and its topical given the protest plans etc........."Reclaim the Streets '04!......from the Skangers!!....yes you on the corner of Henry St in the Tracksuit.....Thanks for wearing your cap at 45' deg....means I can put one right between your eyes!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

They go on until May 3. They're pretty cool methinks..you can see them from my skylight....they spread all over the sky...they'd be pretty scary to see if you didn't know what they were....the website would be pretty busy a lot of the time so you'd be lucky to get onto it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

looks pretty smooth. are there any pictures of the ones from dublin?
    theres none of the night time and i wont be able to see it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

i think they're really cool, was well impressed on the way into town on the dart saw them from miles away. there was low cloud thursday night too so all they needed was a bat sillouette and we're in business.

They looked really cool when they all pointed straight at the spire and then shot up. Made the spire look cool, sorta like the center piece to the light show.

Pity they're only temporary, as they give the city something to look up at, sorely lacking in dublin. Say they cost a bomb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

it looks fairly cool doesn't it, was staring up at it for ages last week, and YES... I would imagine it cost a small fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

God damn its hard to make a penis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mine goes up at around 12 tonight, which should be perfect timing for me coming out of/back from Tommy Tiernan....

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

As I was looking up a the lights, lying on my back in the middle of O'Connell St at 5am this morning, I had a thought (revelations tend to come to you in situations like this)....

There are 22 lights, each one representing a member of the soon to be expanded EU. I came to the conclusion that the light on top of Wynn's hotel is Ireland. This is because:

1) The light was not quite as bright as all the other lights
    2) It seemed to be slighly out of sync with all the other lights, and when the pattern changed, it wouldn't do what it was told, but did it on the second time of asking
    3) It seemed to be constantly bouncing between all the other lights, like it was trying be keep in with all the other lights and not stick out with any actual policies of its own
    4) When there were planes passing overhead (which I'll assume were US military planes) it made sure that it was pointing at the ground so as not to highlight the planes in the hope that they would go unnoticed

Then the Garda told me to get up off the street and go home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i really would be interested in how to make a a noticeable design out of it...
    i dont know if one can its very abstract...

em anyone got any _good_ pics of it , i was trying to get it when the lights hit the statues on top of the gpo and of course the one on the times the other day with the fantastic statue of jim larkin arms raised with the lights behind still need some bad weather.. god you there?

apparently the messages are totally uncensored so go for it!

the webcams arn't that great don't really pc up the

some of his other work this vid is well worth a look lightshttp://www.fundacion.telefonica.com/at/rlh/video/bodymovies.html

Advertisement