Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Soul Artists???

Options
  • 21-04-2004 5:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok i know this is a jazz/blues forum but beacuses soul is pretty much related to these i decided to post here.

Just wondering if you guys could name some good soul atrists for me so i can some of their stuff or some good soul compilations.

The only ones i really know are Wilson Pickett,Al Green and ottis redding. I have been really gettin into soul recently and love to buy more of it. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Sam and Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

Solomen Burke
    Ray Charles
    Curtis Mayfield
    Marlena Shaw
    Bill Withers
    Jackie Wilson
    Roberta Flack
    Terry Callier

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are bound to like James Carr virtually all of his best stuff is now available thanks to the Ace label which has some marvellous Soul compilations available too.

There are some excellent soul compilations available for example

The Definitive Sound of Atlantic Soul

Or

Atlantic Soul Classics

If you are in Dublin try Freebird or City Discs they have pretty good soul sections and browse in any of the big shops and you should find some oh and dont forget a best of Aretha Franklin - if Respect - The Very Best of Aretha Franklin does not convince you that there is a God somewhere nothing will.

And dont forget the River of Soul on Today Fm on Sundays 7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

how about Seal? don't know much of his stuff, but what ive heard is beautiful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I second Curtis Mayfield, great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squirmworm

Oops.....

I meant to post this here...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Eddie Floyd is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hehe, thanks GoneShootin!!

Also, another thumbs up for Curtis Mayfield.

Seal's early stuff is superb and very soulful. Before Trevor Horn decided to go pop with him, he was producing some very tasty stuff with Seal.

Advertisement