Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which case to go for?

Options
  • 19-04-2004 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I've decided to get rid of the vapochill, after many months of stupid overclocks I've decided I'd like my silence back. I know what I wanna put into the box but then only area I'm not quite sure on is the case, I can't really decide what case to go for. What I'm looking for is a case with a 120 at the front and 120 at the back thats all I require really because silence is the most important thing. So my question is if money was no object what case would you go for?

Excluding the totally passive Zalman case of course...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Coolermaster Cavalier 3 has an 80mm front fan and 120mm rear fan, looks stunning, keeps your PC cool and looks stunning.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=CAV-T03&other_title=CAV-T03Cavalier%203

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

The Cavalier is a nice case alright.... I really can't decide, just read a review of Antec's P160 Here and I have to say I'm impressed.

Is there any other high end cases I should know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

antec sonata looks really nice, almost silent, not too big, not too pricey. I was going to get it but eventually decided on an SFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The Sonata ...... i have to say its one of the quietest cases + PSU combo's ive seen. If your PSU isint under much load then its amazing how quiet it is....... you have to have your ear right up to it to hear anything. The 120mm fan supplied is quieter than the other 120mm fans ive used and running with the fan controller connecter it makes no difference to noise wheather its connected or not (when PSU has low load).

Make sure you passivly cool your NB as this is very noticable when the rest is soo quiet. Sonata is very good but prob a P160 with 120mm papst fans and a passivly cooled PSU would be quieter.

Just as a BTW, i have 3 x 120mm fans @5v in my case and a water pump. The noisiest thing is the pump, followed by the 120mm fan that came with the water kit @5v, then the PSU 120mm fan @5v, then the sonata fan @5v. Its a very quiet rig but not silent.

Yeah people keep mentioning the sonata I quite like it but after seeing it up close I'm not so sure, also It's a bit small in terms of future upgrading to watercooled... Which atm I have no interest in because I wont be overclocking my new chip (much) but I'm sure I'll get bored of air soon and might want to dabble in the watercooled (Eh... sorry about that couldn't resist) at least if I had the space I'd have an excuse :)

• Advertisement

Does the sonata have sound proofing? Or what advantage would it have over the p160? The psu wont be a problem I've gotta antec 550w truecontrol in the vapo atm which I will be hanging onto and its almost silent.

Still leaning towards the P160 though, I'd like a case with some "bling" for a chancge. A nice window and some bright lights would go a long way methinks, much better than this ugly vapo anyways :)

Yea the sonata is small enough but with a little luck and a hammer everything should fit nicely. For instance..... in mine (which is almost as full as it can possibly be).. i have.

The water cooling kit, 120mm Rad with 2 fans (placed where the top exit fan is).
    PCI : Audigy, Modem, TV card, and one taken up by artic cooler.
    9700pro,
    3 x hard disks at the min (2x Samsungs, 1 x WD 120gb)
    2 x DVD drives (burner and reader)
    1 x Hard Disk caddy,
    Floppy drive,

It took a little bending of the PSU rail, taking off the locking mechinism on the door, cutting a small piece of the zalman heatpipe (had it on my Ti4200 at the time), and she will fit.

Have pictures somewhere let me check...........

I have a couple of pics here .... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141043&highlight=sonata .

This is about 2 months back just before i fitted the artic cooler, new DVD drive & caddy etc.......

Holy god, that is tight. Mind you looks like a nice case. But it's alot smaller than what I'm used to and space isn't really important atm.

I've read 7/8 reviews of the p160 though and everyone has given it 10/10 or close to it... So I'll be checking my bank balance and more than likely ordering one soon and a Zalman HSF the 7000 I think it is.

Mind you the coolermasters were quite nice... /me does some more research...

Advertisement