Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford-course fishing

Options
  • 18-04-2004 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'll be in wexford during the week for a few days so i prob get some fishing time in,does anyone know if there is any decent placing to go coarse fishing or if there is any good rivers for fly fishing

Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Cosworth
    I'll be in wexford during the week for a few days so i prob get some fishing time in,does anyone know if there is any decent placing to go coarse fishing or if there is any good rivers for fly fishing

Gary

Where in Wexford?- Wexford town?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I'll be in gorey but antwhere at all,i don't mind doing a bit of driving.

Course fishing isn't my thing but-
    South of Gorey around Blackwater, there are a lot of ponds amongst the small hills in the area. They do have tench, rudd, perch and (in the larger ponds) pike.
    There are also coarse fish in the ponds near the south slobs in Wexford. However, rumour has it these waters were stocked with carp, the plan been to develop a commercial fishery, so they may not be as lax as they were about people fishing there.

In the south of the county maybe the bridgetown canal would be worth a shot (may be completely tidal, though).

As ever, the discovery series OSI map may be useful-there is 1 for east wexford, and another for south wexford.

take a look here
    http://www.wexford.ie/Environment/ballinesker.htm
    http://www.wexford.ie/Environment/morriscastle.htm

(drainage canals may hold course fish, depends on volume of water though)

If anyone has further info re wexford coarse angling let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

South of Gorey around Blackwater, there are a lot of ponds amongst the small hills in the area. They do have tench, rudd, perch and (in the larger ponds) pike.

Do the farmers mind if people go on the land?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by cheesedude
    Do the farmers mind if people go on the land?

I wouldnt think so, however if you go by the following, you'll never go wrong.

If you plan on crossing a farmers land, even tho in most cases they are obliged to allow you, it never does any harm to pop into the nearest house/pub/shop to find out who owns it then ring them or call in and ask.

99% of the time they will say yes. Because by actually going to the trouble of finding out who owns the land and asking permission you are showing that you are a responsible angler, and that you're not there to leave a mess behind.

Plus it gives you the chance to get to know the farmer, who will probably be the best source of information for how well the area is fishing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dartsmad31

I'm very interested in trying to fish these ponds ..is it difficult to find them thanks I'm not to far from Blackwater appricate any info thanks

Advertisement