Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Radio

Options
  • 18-04-2004 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Just a question for everyone out there . Does anyone know any thing about Satellite Radio . I don't mean the one you can get by Sky Satellite Dish but the one you can get by satellite radio reciver in your car or Home . Would it mean i could get todayfm on it if i bought a reciver ?

I know that in the USA http://www.sirius.com is a provider . But not sure if it works in Europe

Anyone know ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Don't know very much about it, but I'm pretty much certain that Today FM is not available on any satellite service.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's only one service that I know of that covers Ireland, supposedly.

www.worldspace.com

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Yes worldspace.com seems to be the only one.
    WRN provides quite a bit of RTE.
    You will need an external antenna and some means of amplification for reasonable reception.
    All this costs by the way.
    Having Europe covered to the extent of having satellite radioin your car not to mantion today fm is still some time away.
    look up worldspace.com for the links you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jmcbride

Sirius and XM are the two American satellite radio outfits, but we're probably way out of the footprint covered by their satellites. XM radio broadcast from their own birds at 85W and 115W (http://www.lyngsat.com/xmroll.shtml; http://www.lyngsat.com/xmrock.shtml). I don't know which satellites Sirius use, but they're unlikely to be any more accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The US systems can't be received here and are subscription based.

Worldspace is easy to setup but "transportable", not usually workable while actually driving. Look for portable sets that do FM/Am/SW as well as Worldspace.

Some Worldspace channels are subscription based.

A truely mobile (for cars etc) Satellite Radio is in development for Europe.

There are three kinds of fixed dish Satellite radio in Europe as well as Worldspace:

DVBs Radio (like on Sky). I get nearly 800 channels.

ADR (Astra Digital Radio), an obsolete system transmitted piggy back on some German Analog TV channels on Astra 19E

Analog Sound Subcarrier. The Analog satellite TV channels (mostly now just 19E and 13E) can have up to 9 audio channels. Many of these are used for mono radio or in pairs ( e.g. 7.38 & 7.56 MHz) for stereo. Quality deterioates the higher the subchannel frequency is. The 7.38 & 7.56 is best (7.02 and 7.20 usually TV sound) and can be better than the MP2 over DVBs Digital Satellite Radio on Sky. Since the analog stereo uses two channels and is not muliplexed, it can easily be higher quality than FM radio which is transmitted as Mono with a 38KHz AM DSBSC with the (L-R) signal. The "multiplex" decoder "matrixes" the FM Radio mono with the L-R to give L and R.

Today FM is not currently on any satellite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement