Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition Of A Poem:

Options
  • 17-04-2004 9:22pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

Someone asked recently the definition of a poem, here is what I found in the dictionary :

Poem: n. A composition, usu. in verse, marked by language chosen especially for its sound, beauty, and evocative power.

Poetic adj. 1.of or characteristic of peotry or poets. 2. written in verse 3. highly fanciful or idealized

poetic license n. : artistic deviation from conventional form or fact to achieve a certain effect

poetic jutice n. : an often ironically appropriate outcome in which wrongdoing is punished and virtue is rewarded.

***what defintiions can you find?***
    **what do you think a poem is?***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Music is sounds that have been joined together to provide a listening experience.

Paintings/art are/is colours and/or shapes joined together to provide a visual experience.

Poems are words or letters or text joined together to provide a grammatical experience. I'd put numbers in with the 'text' thing.

I'd say you are talking about yellum's 'poem'? Don't know what he wrote but I'd be interested to see any form of numerical poem.

One thing that art in general should do is to push the boundaries. It could be that yellum put up a new form of art which is geek-art - for example a poem in binary. I would classify this as a sub section of poetry hence maybe a new forum is needed? ww)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

No new forum is needed. We can just title a new thread is all. I told him to post it again...it's up to him now.

Thanks for the input though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Archvillain

but why on earth did you go to a dictionary when discussing poetry?
    Poetry is about the sense of any words. A sense trying to be conveyed, perhaps hopelessly, but not simply something to conform to objective definition or mathematical equation.
    There... that was my first post... and I've already succeeded in sounding hopelessly pretencious!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Well archvillian,
    I posted the definition as someone asked what the actual definition was. Since I thought it was an interesting topic I began a thread so people could post on what they thought the definition of a poem is. As you have done, and thank you for doing so.

Advertisement