Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

railway sleepers

Options
  • 16-04-2004 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

i have a few queries and any help solving them would be appreciated

any idea where i could get some sleepers in the galway area. i priced some before in a builders providers for about 25 euros but as i need loads i need them cheaper than that. also i can collect if that helps.

i need a load of topsoil aswell.very cheap or free preferably

and if you want to level an established lawn do you have to remove the grass before or can you just load on the new soil and resow any areas of grass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ramius
    and if you want to level an established lawn do you have to remove the grass before or can you just load on the new soil and resow any areas of grass
    For more extreme areas, cut a cross in the turf with a flat spade, with the cross centred on the lowest / highest point. Lift back the turf. Fill / excavate as necessary. Put turf back. Water and fertilise

Do not use that section for rugby practice for a few weeks. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Try the buy and sell, they have them in there, but it looks like they are all about 20 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The rail line outside Tuam is littered with them, in various conditions. You could just liberate a few, they're doing nothing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

That would be theft! :mad:

Do NOT steal railway sleepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Originally posted by BendiBus
    That would be theft! :mad:

Do NOT steal railway sleepers.

Theft of useless items that will just sit there and rot other wise. Just ask I'm sure they will let you take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Don't steal, jasus. Ask nicely, they give them away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by leonotron
    Theft of useless items that will just sit there and rot other wise. Just ask I'm sure they will let you take them.
    Eh, the whole point of railway sleepers is they don't rot .....

Originally posted by Victor
    Eh, the whole point of railway sleepers is they don't rot .....

Well I wouldn't say that is the point, but I'd say they will rot eventually. The ones talked about are probably ones taken up and replaced by concrete sleepers, which more than likely will not be used again

Originally posted by leonotron
    The ones talked about are probably ones taken up and replaced by concrete sleepers, which more than likely will not be used again

Erm, have you thought they might end up being sold by their rightful owner? They are Iarnrod Eireann stock with a monetary value. Once again, to take them without permission is THEFT!

Originally posted by BendiBus
    Erm, have you thought they might end up being sold by their rightful owner? They are Iarnrod Eireann stock with a monetary value. Once again, to take them without permission is THEFT!

Yeah I have, but ask any grunt down in Eastwall depot if you can take a bunch of sleepers and you can give €50 and he will say yes. Get off you high horse midget boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

what a coincidence i happen to live about 50 yards from that railway but i dont think that it would be too good to just take them especially as BendiBus would take it personally. anyway they are way too heavy to carry across the fields. i found some in the buy and sell for only 10 euro so maybe someone has saved me the trouble and robbed them already. does anyone know if the western rail corridor will be opening anytime in the next 10 yrs

the point depot end of the yard used always be empty on a Sunday, not a soul in sight, not sure about now though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ramius
    does anyone know if the western rail corridor will be opening anytime in the next 10 yrs
    I'm sure Minature Brennan does. Chances are that if a reopening announcement is made it'll be about three months before an election. At least that's what a cynic might think.

Originally posted by sceptre
    I'm sure Minature Brennan does. Chances are that if a reopening announcement is made it'll be about three months before an election. At least that's what a cynic might think.

Or 3 months before EVERY election for the next 10 years!

Advertisement