Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating Barton XP-M

Options
  • 16-04-2004 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I upgraded my XP-2600 today to a Barton mobile 2500. I currently have it running at 2.2Ghz (200 * 11) on a MSI K7N2 Delta mobo. My Vcore is set at 1.6v and for cooling I'm using a Gigabyte 3D cooler @ 4000rpm. Trouble is my idle temps are hitting 55C for CPU and 40C for System. Seems a little on the high side. I've checked
    the mounting of the HSF and it seems okay. Anybody any suggestions ?
    Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

To check for good contact, you should also check the temperature of the heatsink, it should feel quite warm if the chip is really at 55c. The fact that your system temp is 40c would lead me to believe that the cpu temp is roughly accurate though, so I think that your real problem is lack of circulation through the case. You need to get that hot air from the cpu/gfx/mobo power circuit/chipset/ram out of there.
    Do you have exhaust and intake fans in your case?
    Bear in mind though, that the accuracy of temperature monitoring varies wildly between motherboards, it could be as much as 15c off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

First thing i thought while reading is the cooler is mounted incorrectly.

Leave the PC running for a while, power off and unplug it. Open the side of the case and see if the heatsink is warm to touch (be carefull all the same ;)).

Did you use thermal compound at all? How good is that actual cooler, sounds like a GFX one with the "3d" :p . Do you have much case air flow?

Try ....
    A) a cold start and go into the BIOS and see what temps are at start
    B) a re-start when temps are 50+ and go into BIOS and check.

Doesent sound right for that chip & voltage.........

[edit] Gerry ya bet me too it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try powering off now and check the side of the
    heatsink. The gigabyte cooler has a copper base and fins on the side - it certainly looks the part :p Maybe the thermal paste that came with it is below par. I could always revert to my other HSF I was using with the 2600, but it was a bugger to remove in the first instance! I have no case fans installed - I don't think I could stand the noise :p I'll keep you posted....thanks again.

Just a quick update...the CPU cooler was slightly warm to touch after powering off, though this may be simply down to its design (there's a picture of it here:
    http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/gigabyte/cooler-pro/PCU21-VG-1.htm)
    The temps appear to be correct after checking the BIOS readings. I think I'll try removing and re-seating the cooler to see if it helps. Failing that, looks like I need a new cooler - doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

errrr you do know the stock voltage for an XP-M is 1.45 right????

The XP-M's are meant to be great overclockers without voltage mods arent they?

According to this they are anyhow

• Advertisement

Yea they dont tend to need as high voltage as other Xp2500's to hit the same speed . Xp3200+ at 1.45v with no case air flow is really pushing it, was thinkin of getting one myself but im going to hold out and do a majour upgrade.

[edit] Yea there stock voltage is 1.45v (@Xp2500+).

Originally posted by Darwin
    I have no case fans installed - I don't think I could stand the noise :p

Case fans need not be noisy. They normally run on 12 volts, a simple wiring trick which doesn't require any cutting of joining or wire will let you run them at 7 volts, where you won't be able to hear them. Its called the 7 volt mod, google it or ask here and it shall be explained in more detail :) I've 5 fans in me case, all @ 5 volts, runs extremely quiet.

Thanks Gerry will look into this - I think I've room for one case fan at the rear.
    Btw I realize the stock voltage is 1.45, but my system was completely unstable on
    anything < 1.60V at 200 * 11.

I would definetly put a case fan or two into the system.

Papst are good, the Sharkoon ultra silent fans are excellent - they come with an adjustable knob for speed and can be totally silent !! Zalman do a fan controller and also a voltage converter which has 2x 5v connectors (i have both) and running a fan at 5v should quieten even the loudest.

check out www.hitide.ie or www.pc-look.com

I've come to the conclusion I need a new case. I don't have any spare molex connectors for a case fan and I can't find any spare 3-pin connectors on the mobo. My case is 3 years old and the 300W PSU is under severe pressure with my current set up (multiple HDD's, 9700Pro etc) Of course any excuse for an upgrade will do :) I'll hunt around Komplett/hitide/elara for a good case with built-in fans. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

how are the rails holding up on the psu if you think its under pressure that could be affecting you overclock?

with regards to not having enough connectors you can daisychain the fans on one or two of you existing molex connectors so there is no need for a new one.

cases that come with fans tend to just have standard generic fans, so they may not be the quitest and you may have to mod them, while if you by a different case you can the fans in of you choice. anywho since you interested in silence try the antec sonata, i has space for 120mm fans

data

Yea definetly look at the sonata....... comes with one 120mm fan and the quietest PSU ive heard (also excellent quality and runs my system no probs). The fan is also silent when connected to the fan controller on the psu.... www.elara.ie have em

If your case has good openings for case fans ( i.e. fairly unrestricted ) and has enough space for your drives, why not just get a new psu and save some money?

Advertisement