Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Cooler - Direction of Airflow?

Options
  • 16-04-2004 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Got a shiny new Arctic VGA Cooler, lapped it, fitted it and was very happy. The rig is alot easier on the ear now. But! I kinda expected more airflow out of the back. When I hold my hand over the fan unit, there appears to be alot of air coming out from the fan into the case. I expected it to be more sucking air from the case out the back. There is airflow out the back, but you have to wet your finger to detect the flow (finger in the wind type of thing :)).

So, calling all Arctic VGA Silencer owners. How do you rate the airflow out the back?

I was thinking of switching the wires around in the fan connector to see if that'll spin the fan the other way, just to see what the flow is like then...

Edit:

PS. Sir Random, it is an R360. Will flash it later... thanks for the files :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I can feel hot air coming out from the Artic Cooler. Its not like its gushing out like my fan case but its going out nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Thanks neo,

Can you do me a favour, if it's convenient, and open the case and hold your hand above/below the fan? Is there air pushing out into the case too? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Yup, fan is blowing out as well. I wouldnt say its blowing out into the case. Its blowing straight to my PCI card :)

Semantics.. ;)

OK, thanks for that. I guess it's just "backwash" from the fan chamber. Tempted to change the direction for the hell of it anyway. It's running at 48 idle on low, and about 41 idle on high. Will load it up and see how it goes.

Thanks!

AT

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

The airflow out the back is quite low, but can get very hot under load. I wouldn't reverse the fan, as it's designed to work in one direction (curved blades).

Before flashing to XT, make sure it can run 3DMark at 412/365. Mine gets to 425/380, so I know I'm well within the card's limits.

• Advertisement

No worries there. I had it on 414/365 on stock cooling, have it at 428/385 at the moment (gave me 6672 in 3DMark03, was 6421 on previous o/c).

My only problem at the moment is getting a decent DOS boot as described here. WIll make my USB key bootable and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Wow, you should break 7k easy with the XT BIOS. I'm gonna fit ramsinks on mine and see if I can squeeze a bit more from the ram. I have them cut up, just need to cut some nothces out of them to avoid other components.

Advertisement