Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Windows as Gaeilge?

Options
  • 16-04-2004 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Anybody know if this is reliable? It's dated 7 April, and there's no mention of an April Fool's gag, so I've no idea if it is one.
    From Gaelport
    Microsoft - chun Windows a aistriú go Gaeilge

Ag eascairt ó scéal sa nuachtlitir, Eolas@Gaelport.com, a mhaigh nach bhfuil Microsoft chun leagan Gaeilge de Windows a chur ar fáil, rinne ionadaí ó Microsoft teagmháil linn agus mhínigh sí go bhfuil "Microsoft chun Windows a logánú go Gaeilge. Tá an próiseas tosaithe ach níl spriocdáta críochnú socruithe fós."

Fanfaimid ar scéal!

MICROSOFT - WINDOWS WILL BE TRANSLATED TO IRISH

Following from a story in the newsletter, Eolas@Gaelport.com, which claimed that an Irish language version of Windows wasn´t going to be made, a spokesperson from Microsoft contacted us and confirmed that Windows is going to be localised into Irish and that the process has already started but that a finishing deadline has yet to be set.

Looking forward to further information on this exciting development!

TUILLEADH EOLAIS | MORE INFO:
    http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/
    There's no information that I can find on the MS site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

If you ask me, as someone who localized Mac OS 6 and OS 7 into Irish, it's not very likely. Localization is a huge undertaking, and involves constant and expensive maintenance as each component is upgraded and updated and as new software is released. The Irish government doesn't even passively encourage Barry's and Lyon's Tea or anyone else to ship bilingual packaging (compare Finland where all packaging is in Finnish and Swedish by law). You think they're going to pay hundreds of thousands of euros a year for Office localization upgrades which people won't buy anyway?

The Irish Mac OS localizations were very good. Some schools bought the software. Apple never shipped computers with it as an option. Sad to say, it wasn't worth maintaining. Or at least it wasn't possible to do so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3522026.stm
    The Welsh language is to be introduced into Microsoft Windows as part of a project to increase usage by minority language speakers.

A Welsh start menu and some commands will be available in about six months.

Microsoft said it has received complaints from places such as Catalonia, Malaysia and the Arctic regions of Canada.

Start menus and instructions like 'save' and 'search' will be introduced, said Microsoft.

So no it would not be fully transtlated in any case.
    www.openoffice.org - YOU can do the localisations !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

i hope it does get trnslated because i think its key to language survival to have things, things that people use, such as computer software, in that language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

But only people who speak irish will use change the menus so that they display in irish.:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Nó daoine atá ag iarraidh í a fhoghlaim - imrímse cluichí ar an ríomhaire as Fraincis nó as Gearmáinis go minic chun focail nua a fhoghlaim.

Or ppl trying to learn Irish - I often play computer games in French or German to learn new words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm amazed how few people (who actually use Irish, I don't know any), don't realise that with UK keyboard and UK English Language regional settings, holding ALT GR key while pressing a vowel gives an accent

áéóíú

As to why it ALTGR b and ALTGR c don't do German B=SS letter and the french c with squiggle I have no idea.

Actually it amazing how many don't even know ALT GR 4 = €

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Or the amount of people that don't know that there's an Irish keyboard and Irish English regional settings option in Windows either! :p

There's an Irish "Gaelic" keyboard option that, as far as I'm aware, does the same job as the International keyboards, and lets you access lots more accented characters. As it is if you hit the ` (to the left of the 1), and then a vowel you get the Scots Gaelic/French à.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

but y not just use the international keyboard and get them all?
    Originally posted by watty
    As to why it ALTGR b and ALTGR c don't do German B=SS letter and the french c with squiggle I have no idea.

i think this is bc the acute has appeared extensively in english history, throughout old english (unless employing runes) and again in early modern english up until the 19th century. the ss character and cedile have not. however, diareses have also been common (the 2 lil dots over a vowel) see if u can find them newhere, perhaps alt + " maybe?

Advertisement