Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 Overclocking question

Options
  • 15-04-2004 2:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is more for curiosity than anything else but its something that Id like to know a bit more about.All I use the pc for is gaming,the odd dvd rip and thats about it really.

So here goes.
    Im running a p4 2.8 b(533FSB)on a Gigabyte board(Havent got the model to hand but its the latest one which will also take a prescot cpu).
    Ram is rated at 333mhz(havent a clue what this 2100,3700etc means) Im told and its Kingston??.But is this 333ddr because if it is then would that explain why I cant really get above 160+fsb.

Currently I have it running stable at 3.15 with stock cooling/no voltage adjustments with an adjustment on the Fsb only 21 x 150.Now when I do this its reporting the ram as running at 300mhz.Also pci/agp are locked at 33/66.

In the bios the only ram ratio options are 1,1.5,2.0,auto.At the moment its on auto and Im getting the reported ram at 300mhz.If I drop it to 1.5 its at 200mhz.
    Can someone explain what this means to me--obviously the ram runs better at lower frequencies so would I be better letting it run at 200mhz as opposed to 300mhz.

Also when I dropped it down to 200mhz I tried the cpu up 3.36 ghz (21x160) but was afraid to leave it at that since I hadnt a clue what I was doing.
    Also in the bios are voltage adjustments--On the cpu its done by percent so I have adjustments of 5.0,7.5,10.0 %.Ive not touched any of these adjustments yet.

Let it run last night(at 3.15) using Prime95 and found no errors this morning.So I take it thats a good sign.

Also at 3.15 temps under full load are 42c and at idle 32c.
    At 3.36 temps are 51c and at idle 40c.

Questions are basically if someone could explain this ram ratio thing to me and the basics of voltage adjustment.I mean if its better for the ram to be at 200mhz(or 300mhz with more voltage to the dimm) and the cpu is stable at 3360 then thats a fairly decent overclock on stock cooling isnt it.
    Thanks
    Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ram is rated at 333mhz

If your Ram is rated for 333mhz it should run at 333mhz (166mhz x 2). You will take a pretty big performance hit by reducing it to 200mhz. Not many options for your Ram there. Id leave it on auto, your FSB overclock wont be hindered by memory until 166mhz+ (provided its Pc2700 (333mhz ram) and not faulty).
    At 3.36 temps are 51c and at idle 40c.

Those temps are fine, nothin to worry about there. Just make sure thats Prime95 load .... as its pretty much the hottest your CPU will ever be at that setting.

Voltage wise..... your generally fine with 10% increase without having to worry about anything, id still keep it under 1.65v since its stock cooling. Watch your temps and always run prime95 to insure stability. Intel chips are far less fond of high Vcore than AMD chips so dont go crazy with it !!

That wouldnt be a bad overclock with stock cooling, pretty impressive for a B chip :) .

Advertisement