Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master of Orion 3, is it worth getting?

Options
  • 15-04-2004 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

I live turn based as well as RT strategy games.
    I loved CIV 3 etc. heard lots of good things about MOO.

Then MOO3 came out recently, but looking at buyer's reviews on amazon.com etc it looks like a lot of 4x strategy fans were highly dissapointed by it. That despite its completxity the game lacked in a lot of departments.

I'll be finishing exams in about a months time and am looking for a few fun games for my summer fix.

So any thoughts by people who have played MOO3 are welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You can have my one if you want, that game shouldn't have been released for another year or six months at least. I like the look and the feel of the game and like your self was looking forward to what they promised but the thing is that the AI is like a retard it just sits there and colonises planets the diplomacy is complex looking but ther way the other races react is irrational and annoying.
    When at war (this is after proposing some treaties and the like and they get bored of you) it's like Ireland Declaring war on Qutar it's just a Grrrr match over a fence. Neither side can really make any moves.
    The reason for this is that...

1. the enemy actually won't attack your planets only blockade and destroy defences.
    2. Sometimes races will declare war when their on the other side of the galaxy and have no fleet.
    3.the technology research rate is too slow in my opinion and you don't have enough firepower to take a planet for a long time and the time neccessary to build ships too long with those ships dieing like flies when you do get into it.
    the tactical sessions are not very complex it is kinda pretty but not very tactical it's mostly bigger fist wins which isn't that bad but ships take too long to build. this could be construe to be in the games design to make ships much more valueble but with the AI so poor it just adds to the thing i can eat on :dunno:

Basically i really like that games idea but they f****d it up good, i spent alot of time playing that game but didn't get too far didn't die just gave up I must go check if they've got together a proper patch to fix some of these i think fundamental problems.

Fair enough there is a patch i'll give it another go and see if they've fixed some the problemos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Let us know how it goes - ive been evily tempted to pick it up sometime but the bad reviews have scared me off. If they have fixed it up Id hate to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Bit of a let down then joshcork? :)

Well had a good look at it last weekend quite improved but still a couple like other races declaring war from the other side of the galaxy a bit silly but harmless as it gives you time to calm things diplomatically or militarily

Was quite dissapointed at the time they had promised alot but most of it's there now if you can find it on buget somewhere go for it but you'll need that 6MB patch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's abysmal, possibly one of the biggest disappointments of all time. Amazon.com were offering a $22 rebate when you bought the game for $19.99 a while back. It's still not worth it.

I highly recommend Galactic Civilizations or Space Empires IV instead, both are vastly superior.

Advertisement