Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The IT Warrior - Magazine for programmers

Options
  • 14-04-2004 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

There is a new magazine coming out especially for programmers. Initially there will be the following sections:

Web Development
    Sys Admin
    Programming
    Fun & Games
    Services
    War Stories - (Accounts of programming in the real world)

I thought i would come straight to the source - you guys - and ask what sort of articles would you programmers like to see in this new magazine?

The magazine will not be going live until July or August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Articles about practical use of design patterns in programming to educate the junior developer out there who is just doing ad-hoc programming and creating chaos along the way.

Something I see missing in the area of .Net development is specfic information on making the most of the VS.Net IDE. Like using designers, typed dataset creation, how to create components for use on designers. I have yet to find a good book or article on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

I second the idea about practical (real-world) design patterns; you just don't see any of that in school. For instance, let's say you want to build a server that does {blah} - how would you go about writing it to allow scaling for 100 clients (for instance), etc. How do memory constraints come into play (you may have an infinte supply of virtual memory, but you can't have the server thrashing half the time)?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

How about test driven development and refactoring and the use of agile programing practices?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Book Reviews....

Particularly because ive just started using .NET and dont know which of the millions (it seems) of the .NET books to buy (my company doesnt purchase them for us)

How about an article on approaching your boss to explain the need for a more structured approach to introducing new technology.....

Lately my company has decided they want us to develop an application in .NET.

The way they went about this was....

"heres the .NET IDE... now go play with it, by the way, heres an example of a logon application using Forms Authentication, i want a working version by the weekend, oh yeah, using roles.... "

"What??? well of course i know you havent used ASP.NET or IIS before, but im sure youll figure it all out. Your a programmer for christs sake"

"What do you mean you dont understand how the redirecting to different pages work, what the webconfig is, how the whole thing is to be deployed, we pay you to find out..."

"Documentation??? well.. you can throw together a word doc about it when your finished... you can come up with a spec if you feel like it, as long as it logs on and off its ok with us..."

:rolleyes: this is the way ive been programming for the last 6 months using mostly VBA SQL and ACCESS, now its C# ASP.NET and SQL... im tired of this, it makes work boring and very un-educating, what can i do tho!?

I for one cant wait til theis mag comes out, I need serious direction and hopefully it will help a lot, in fact ive yet to work in a company with a very well structured approach to development, for the last 1.5 years its been ad hoc methods everywhere ive worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

How about a little competition each week, provide a few real world programming problems and ask for submissions. Be good for ppl like myself, coming to end of a programming degree and basically badly stuck for any kind of relevant challenge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement