Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very worrying win xp restarting problem

Options
  • 14-04-2004 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭

I havent a clue really how to explain the problem, but ill attempt to anyway

ive recently be getting a very bad restart problem on my pc, it only seems to be related to games as when im using the PC normally nothing happens

When im playing a game and it could happen really anytime at all the sound just i suppose the best word to describe it is stutters and then the PC restarts, ive basically taken the PC apart and rebuilt it and made sure all cables are secured, ive put more thermal paste on my Processor as i thought it could be the temperature of the thing, that didint help, so id unno what else to ry, I thought it was the memory which i posted on a thread in here awhile back, but that has also been replaced, so just looking for anything else to try, as i said games are the main culprit for this stuttering and restarting

Specs

AMD 2600XP processor
    80 gig hard disk
    1 gig 0f 2700 memory
    Win Xp Service pack 1 with all the updates
    sound blaster live 5.1 digital card
    Modded 9800 se GFX card
    DVD rewriter and DVD drive

So if anyone has any ideas what to do id be grateful

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

well games rely more heavily on sound & graphics so I would start there.
    Can you borrow another sound & gfx card to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

shinzon, what PSU do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

its a 500 watt jeantech

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Had very nasty problem with my sound a while ago. Downloaded and installed very latest drivers, even though my current drivers were only a few months old. That solved the problem. The slightly older drivers, having worked for months, must have conflicted with some other drivers, so worth ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The drivers are a very good bet to be the cause of your problems - remove ALL traces of previous drivers (I believe ATI have a driver cleaning tool in there Program Files folder). Then install the latest and greatest drivers; i suggest not going for the default ATI drivers but for Omegas ones not a nice site I know - but trust me he has good drivers. ATI just can't seem to get there drivers working properly:(.

• Advertisement

tis quite strange i hopped over to creatives site to dl the latest driver for the 5.1 card, when i used the search engine to find the driver, all it came up with is a hotfix for lagging issues with the actual driver, which apparently isnt on that site to download latest or otherwise, i dled this and installed, ye never know

I already use the omegas wouldnt use the stock cats if ye paid me

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Prehaps im way off here but what temps you running at ?

mother board monitor reports

CPU running at 41 degrees
    Case Temperature 29 degrees

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fakesnake

its a 500 watt jeantech

what are the amps on the rails is does sound like a power prob, and have you looked in the event viewer it may give a clue. I used to have the same problem and a better psu solved it. as it is the amps, not really the watts that are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by shinzon
    tis quite strange i hopped over to creatives site to dl the latest driver for the 5.1 card, when i used the search engine to find the driver, all it came up with is a hotfix for lagging issues with the actual driver, which apparently isnt on that site to download latest or otherwise, i dled this and installed, ye never know

I already use the omegas wouldnt use the stock cats if ye paid me

Shin

i use the latest cats of the Ati site, why are the omegas better?

I would just like to know as ive never tried the omegas... do you get better performance out of them or something as i would switch over if so :)

have a 9800pro here

linkage to site or something would be nice to :p (thanks!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Try running Prime95, this will tell you if its your CPU or Ram thats giving errors. It should also stress your PSU without stressing sound/GFX. Possibly a way to limit the things to look at.......

Advertisement