Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slanted table top

Options
  • 13-04-2004 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Building a draughting table for my LC Construction project at the moment. It's meant to be finished before May 1st, but that wont happen the way it's looking.

Anyways, the table top is slanted. The table is about 1500 in length, and I think the table top is ~700 (both mm).

So, how will I be able to get the table top steady while slanted?
    I've had a few ideas.

End view of the table below - Quick and brutal paint jobs.
    1 : 1.JPG
    Taken from some Simpsons episode where Homer invents (well, plagarises) a chair invented by George Washington, I think.

Two blocks of wood joined together and at seperate sides of the table, on hinges, and when the table top is lifted up, the blocks slide into an upright position.

2 : 2.JPG
    The ironing board method :). We have a sample of this in school, but when I went into paint there, I couldnt get it to work right for me. It's basically a plank of wood under the slanted board, that when lifted, slides in between two pieces of wood attached to the slanted board.

Any other suggestions on how this could be pulled off? The first method is what I think I might go for, though it will take a lot of precise measurements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not going to do your project for you, but:

You need to do two things (a) provide support to the centre and top edges and (b) provide some sort of "locking" mechanism.

(a) how does one make something more sturdy?
    (b) as timber has a slight give in it, it may not be the best material for the locking mechanism, try some other material.

Advertisement