Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Html and Windows Internet Explorer

Options
  • 13-04-2004 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm completely stumped its just impossible to find any specifics these days on the net. I'm making a database for a loads of technical stuff and am using web based approach but... all I need to know is when opening a file (say a CAD Drawing) from a web page, to get it to open that files particular program and not convert it to the web browser very annoying anyone have clue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Seems to me that you want to get your web-server to set the MIME type correctly.

I couldn't tell you specifics but I imagine a quick google for MIME and the name of your web-server should sort it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What language are you using for your "web based approach"? (ASP,JSP,etc.)
    [set the Return Type (MIME..)]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

You need to output a content-type before sending the file. If you are linking directly to files, you'll need to set up a script to do it instead. See http://www.asp101.com/articles/jason/filedownloadlist/default.asp for an ASP example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

The laguage i'm using is just html but the thing is that it's not going to be used for the internet its going to be on a local lan or on cd. Thanks for the mime clue that should be helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Another thing I have learned. IE doesn't properly respect MIME types.

This (bad) behaviour could be entirely down to IE's poor compliance with web standards. Try it in another browser like Firefox and see if it works.

• Advertisement

During the course of the day I've kinda got the problem sussed well to anextent that can accept anyway.
    What i've found is that it really depends on the PC at hand some computers will do what i want some don't, what it looks like is that it depends on the program using the file normally since a CAD drawing can be used by a load of different programs thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

just a wild idea-but mebbe export the drawings as jpeg or gif or some other format that every machine will understand.. are you having problems opening some files on some machines? *G*

static html front end for a database,eh keep up the good work m'lad.

Well after a meeting with the boss yesterday he doesn't really care which way and since it's mostly just a refrence quick look thing i'm going to throw it to the wind but the thing is its got just a little personal a this stage:)

Advertisement