Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm advice?

Options
  • 10-04-2004 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Howday,

Moving into a new apartment in a few months that I purchased.

It's a fourth floor apt, so there will be no getting in the windows! The only way in is through the front door or walls!

I'm thinking that there isn't much point getting an alarm and that a good chubb mortice lock for €60 would be better.

Any opinions/advice would be most welcome. Does anybody here who lives in second/third/fourth floor apartments have alarms?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I wouldnt bother with an alarm unless everybody else has one. Window and door locks are likely to be more important. Especially if your only going to be living there 4 or 5 years and you have insurance anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

On a related point. Is there any reason to get a 'pretend' alarm ringing box and stick it on the wall, or do the bad guys/girls know what these are straight away - especially since they won't have a dublin phone number on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What happens when you go on holiday? A few hundred euros on an alarm may make all the difference.

Are you happy there is only the one way in? Balconies, windows, roofs.

Does anyone else have keys? Caretaker, friends, relations?

I assume that a mains few fire alarm system is fitted.

Is it worth fitting extra locks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

What happens when you go on holiday?

Purchased apartment. Holidays pushed out until 2017! Seriously thats a good point. Mind you regulations now (rightly) say that the bell can only ring for 15 mins. At the moment my neighbors across the roads alarm was ringing for about 30 minutes this morning. Now, the blue light is still flashing outside the house. Seems to me to be inviting a robbery. Being a good citizen, I rang the local police but they didn't seem too interested.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I was broken into while on holiday, I'm not sure what difference a flashing blue light will make! And I'm not going to ever bother ringing the police about an alarm again - I assume my neighbors think the same.

Also, my understanding with insurance is that if you take the 10% reduction 'cause you have an alarm and you forget to set it - you're not covered. I think I'd prefer to pay the 10% and be a little forgetful.

Thanks anyways for your thoughts and the holiday thing has me thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dglancy
    Purchased apartment. Holidays pushed out until 2017! Seriously thats a good point. Mind you regulations now (rightly) say that the bell can only ring for 15 mins. At the moment my neighbors across the roads alarm was ringing for about 30 minutes this morning. Now, the blue light is still flashing outside the house. Seems to me to be inviting a robbery.
    This is the idea of having a monitoring service in place (more money) like AMS of Phonewatch. 98-99% of alarms are false alarms.
    Originally posted by dglancy
    Also, my understanding with insurance is that if you take the 10% reduction 'cause you have an alarm and you forget to set it - you're not covered. I think I'd prefer to pay the 10% and be a little forgetful.
    Actually I think insurance will insist that you *normally* set your alarm, not everytime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement