Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distilled Water

Options
  • 08-04-2004 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Where can you buy distilled water??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

You should be able to get it from most chemists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Best place to get it would be a motor factors / garage , its used in car batteries and is very cheap (under €1 per litre usually).

Also called de-ionised water ..... just incase its named differently!!

Chemists are also good but not if you need a decent quantity, 5L goes for around €2.50..... not sure how well priced chemists would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

yeah de-ionised water can be bought in the motor shop in the Ilac shopping centre ( beside mackey d's ) and the liffey valley shopping centre retail park ( beside pc world ). I got a litre of it for about a E1.25 as col says.

CombatCow

Just to be pedantic :)

There's a slight difference between distilled and deionised in the processes that create them. Deionising removes most of the salt/mineral contents by passing the water through a column, but apparently isn't so good with the biological bits. Distilled is prepared by condensing steam, and also removes salts/minerals, but is better with the biological leftovers.

I've read stuff saying that deionised water can begin to leech ions from metals in a cooling rig, but to be honest, I don't think that'd have a huge effect if any (as loki and combatcow have pinted out, it's available cheaply from motor factors and the like, so it can't destroy metal). I've bought 5l containers of distilled from a chemist for humidifying devices, and it has only been a couple of euro (as far as I remember :)) I'd be curious as to whether there is any real difference between the two as far as use in cooling rigs goes.

Is there a chemist in the house? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Im using de-ionised water in my setup at the min, i think another majour thing is if there is a leak its far less lightly to short something than normal water as its the aditional elements in water that conduct....... so take these out and your left with a non conductive fluid (H2O), in theory anyway :) .

I know thats only one aspect but its an important one!! Wasent aware there was a difference between de-ionised & distilled, good to know. de-ionised is used in car batteries & steam irons and prevents "furring" and "scale" from forming......... reading that from the bottle beside me ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, nothing worse than a furred tube! :eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Just FYI, De-Ion water is available in Motorway in Blanch in 5L containers if you are around that area.

Did you guys ever read about De-Ion water, the "silent killer"? Supposedly if you drink it continuously, it slowly leaches nutrients from your body.. till you die! However, Ive seen good arguments for and against this.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

De-Ionised water will not stay de-ionised very long as when you pour it into your watercooling loop it will pull ion's away from the metal surfaces e.g. waterblock etc thus corroding it. It will be just like destilled water. Bottled waters aren't as good as distilled water as they contain minerals. So if you wanted the best get distilled water that has been RO filtered, steam distilled and ozone treated. Me I use plain old tap water with a splash of coolant to keep the bugs away its not like you are going to see any difference in temps between one type and another.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Thanks for the replies picked up a bottle in the ilac center. Also found out that there going into liquidation.

Advertisement