Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Music on FM in Belfast

Options
  • 07-04-2004 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Radiowaves.fm is reporting that the normally digital-only BBC Radio station, 6 Music, is testing on 89.5MHz from Divis, near Belfast.

This is for the BBC Music Live festival which is in Belfast. this year, and will be on-air fully from April 12th - May 4th.

This will be good, you can get good BBC Radio 1 and 2 on FM across most of North Dublin and upwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It'll be nice on long trips up Nrth on Car radio.

But is it temporary?

I get fine at hoome on a choice of PC sat receiter, digibox and Palcom FTA receiver.

I loike 6 Music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if there's much (any) chance that NTL will
    relay 6 and 7 (classic radio comedy and drama) to us down here?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Satellite 6 & 7 choices:

PC satellite Card 70 Euro

Palcom DSL4 Digital Receiver under 100 Euro

2nd (or first) Digibox. No subscription required

LNB and Dish under 100 Euro or add Quad LNB to existing minidish.

Very little money to get over 60 decent Radio channels free.

Of course if Landlord etc won't allow dish and one in a plastic box won't fit on a suitable facing balcony....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by mike65
    I wonder if there's much (any) chance that NTL will
    relay 6 and 7 (classic radio comedy and drama) to us down here?

Mike.

BBC (Radio) 6 Music is on Channel 912 on Go Digital in Dublin. Unfortunately, BBC (Radio) 7 is not available on NTL Digital, a pity as (along with 1xtra) it is the only BBC Digital service not now available on NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll just have to stream it and tape it! (me bad!)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭NorthDown

I doubt if you're really far from Belfast that you'll be able to receive it - I'm 15 miles from Divis with no obvious obstacles blocking and there's static on the signal which I don't have on the other BBC FM stations.

Do they have some sort of RSL and does anyone know if they've set a 6Music station up temporarily anywhere else that they've had Music Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Well it's nowhere near as strong as the other BBC FM'ers. Mind you I'm 35 miles away and it's coming in fine on a little walkman !!! Downtown ran a station a few years back off Black Mountain for some racing event and it was loud and clear in Co. Monaghan with only 25 watts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭NorthDown

Checked it out on the RDS car radio - it does lock in as 'BBC DIGI' - trust the good old BBC to ensure little things like that are taken care of too.

I wonder if we'll see some advertising (print/ tv ads) announcing the station to drum up some more listeners to it over the next couple of days

Advertisement