Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex Ed in Schools

Options
  • 06-04-2004 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by Boston
    you're talking about changing human nature, a school is just bricks and mortar, its the people in it that decide what a school will be like, and most kids believe system come from their parents or friends, this is not something you can change easily if at all. Certainyl not be taking some kinda formulaic approach. Like if we have three civics classes a week for 6 years its going to spread understanding.
    Enlightened education policies did wonders in the Nordic countries. There is no reason education (of children and adults) in Ireland cannot also bless us with a more intelligent, tolerant, accepting society.

It was education and indoctrination that led to the nastier aspects of our society in the first place, you must remember. Homophobia and bullying are not innate. They are taught.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Yoda
    Enlightened education policies did wonders in the Nordic countries. There is no reason education (of children and adults) in Ireland cannot also bless us with a more intelligent, tolerant, accepting society.

Agreed, however the delivery systems are different. I base any sexuality ed course on my experience of sex ed. If you have a group system where the group decides how the issue will be dealt with and how far they want to go and what they want to cover, and you have the money from such an approach then yea I'm sure it will be effective. If you tried to use existing infrasturcture like sex ed tries, where the teacher reads from a book about and no more and you sit and you listen, then what use is that. Also timing is important, we where 16 years old and they where trying to teach us about puberty, complete madness. They weren't even allowed talk about contraception because it was a CBS. Also Nordic countries then to be liberial and more open to new ideas.

It was education and indoctrination that led to the nastier aspects of our society in the first place, you must remember. Homophobia and bullying are not innate. They are taught.

Yes but what is the best way to unteach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Boston said:
    Agreed, however the delivery systems are different. I base any sexuality ed course on my experience of sex ed.
    You will wish to consider that your experience is not the only one which could have been had. I accept that you may have had a suboptimal, or even bad, experience.
    If you have a group system where the group decides how the issue will be dealt with and how far they want to go and what they want to cover, and you have the money from such an approach then yea I'm sure it will be effective.
    In principle that is what curriculum setters are for. Yes, one wishes them to be enlightened. It is a challenge to consider raising the bar of cop-on for everyone. Nevertheless the effort can be made, and it can succeed.
    If you tried to use existing infrasturcture like sex ed tries, where the teacher reads from a book about and no more and you sit and you listen, then what use is that.
    Better than nothing at all, I assure you.
    Also timing is important, we where 16 years old and they where trying to teach us about puberty, complete madness.
    I will agree with you; 16 is far, far too late. I'm 41. When I was 14 in Arizona we had P.E., my first real experience seeing anything much naked at all. sex education, or even basic biological education, didn't exist. Some boys get a bit firm under their nipples when they start puberty. I was one of them. I had no idea what to think. I knew that growing up involved sprouting hair and such, and that girls grew breasts. Eeek! Was there something wrong with me? I think somewhere, and I have no idea where, maybe a book or something, I learned about this gland thing. Gods know this is something that ought to have been taught us in some sort of body-ed or sex-ed class: stuff appropriate to the age we were. My father made some sort of effort, I recall, but it certainly didn't touch on glandular changes like that.
    They weren't even allowed talk about contraception because it was a CBS.
    You are quite right to observe that Ireland has particularly strong challanges to overcome. That does not mean that they cannot be overcome, nor that one should not try to overcome them.
    Also Nordic countries then to be liberial and more open to new ideas.
    They didn't used to be. They used to be benighted, small-minded Lutheran ideocracies which were just as ashamed of unwed mothers and homosexual men as Ireland and other countries have been.
    Yes but what is the best way to unteach them.
    In the first place, in the schools, you can teach something else. It's not hard. My partner's sister tells her 4-year-olds and 6-year-old "Well, in lots of families there's a man and a woman living together, and in some families there's two men and in some there's two women." The kids understand this. They can relate to their two "uncles".

As far as "unteaching" those who have left school, well, there's the media for that, however good or bad it does the job. Currently there is a media campaign about racism. Has it any effect? Perhaps it does. Certainly the effort must be made.

In 1981 I graduated high school in the States. You will think that a long time ago; well, it was. It was the beginning of the AIDS crisis; no one knew really what was going on at that time, and many people were infected that year. I suppose most of them are dead now. In my high school, it would have been unthinkable to be open about being gay. In 2001, the son of one of my high school friends reported that at his senior prom (debs I guess it's called here) a number of same-sex couples attended, without incident.

Education can make all the difference. We didn't have sex-ed classes when I was in school. If Ireland does, that's far better than not. If the curriculum and the teacher-training isn't up to snuff, well, that's something that can be changed.

You will wish to consider that your experience is not the only one which could have been had. I accept that you may have had a suboptimal, or even bad, experience.

It seems to be a common enough reaction. Also seems that the more catholic the school the more useless the experience. Now thats only from a small group of my college friends.
    In principle that is what curriculum setters are for. Yes, one wishes them to be enlightened. It is a challenge to consider raising the bar of cop-on for everyone. Nevertheless the effort can be made, and it can succeed.

How can you set a curriculum that is broad enough for everyone but specific enough to be able to speak to everyone. I'm sitting here and this is dragging up memories of two years of Religious sexual education I had to endure in school, these are no pleasent memories of someone trying to share you into be celebate. I feel disturbed just thinking about it again.

The thing about 16 is year far to late to deal with the problems that most of us had faced when we where 11-12, however it would have been a great time to have some relationship education, if you know what i mean.

You gave an example of a child being thought about same sex relationships, grand, thats a child, someone that is already bias is allot harder to convince. You mentioned the anti racism campaign and weather it had any effect, Problem is someone has to identify already that they are a racism/homophobe, what ever, and also that it is wrong before those campaigns will work. Also the more you identify people who don't share your opinions with being homphobes or racists or what ever the more you lessen the impact and the more you make it acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Boston, I'll give you an example.

Say theres some kid and he thinks he's gay. He has parents that are homophobic and say its wrong so he doesn't get anything positive about his sexuality from them. All his peers also mouth off and say homosexuality is evil or sick.

But during one religion class or sex ed class or english class someone says "It's ok to be gay" , it might not even be from an authority figure, it might be from a peer or it might just be read from a book It could be read and not meant by the teacher but they have to read it nonetheless or maybe he just read it in the book after the teacher skipped that page.

That message "Its ok to be gay" might be the first positive thing that kid learns about his sexuality, and it might make him think he is not some outcast and that there are others like him and they are normal.

If the campaign just manages to get that one line into that kids head it would to me be a success. At the end of it all, it doesn't matter how its put across or who listens as long as that message gets aired. All the rest is just semantics and ways to get the point across and can be worked out.

And I am very positive that more than that can be communicated and more than one kid will know that being gay is not wrong.

It seems to be a common enough reaction. Also seems that the more catholic the school the more useless the experience. Now thats only from a small group of my college friends.
    I stipulated that. There are lots of faults in the Irish school system.
    How can you set a curriculum that is broad enough for everyone but specific enough to be able to speak to everyone.
    You do the best you can, of course, and you don't give up just because the initial attempts at teaching about sex in schools do it badly. When I was 12 I learned about the facts of life (intercourse -> babies) from a filthy playground rhyme. I had nobody to tell me that my nipples weren't going to turn into breasts. Get it? At least sex ed has a foot in the door here. I bet you got some answers which were denied me just because there was some discussion, however inept.
    I'm sitting here and this is dragging up memories of two years of Religious sexual education I had to endure in school, these are no pleasent memories of someone trying to scare you into be celebate. I feel disturbed just thinking about it again.
    You're absolutely right. That a fairly depraved organization has control over school curriculum throughout this country is lamentable indeed. But that doesn't mean that sex-ed is bad. It means that the implementation you suffered was bad. This thread began wondering about what could be done to improve things.
    The thing about 16 is year far to late to deal with the problems that most of us had faced when we where 11-12,
    Of course it is. Basic biological facts should be given to kids of that age; their bodies are beginning to change, which is scarey, and they should be told about it so they know that they're OK.
    however it would have been a great time to have some relationship education, if you know what i mean.
    I certainly do. At 14 or 15 there should be discussion of relationships, and that should include factual information about sexuality and sexual preferences. It should teach that minority preferences are part of the natural scheme of things, as they are.

When I was 15 or 16 I was taking Latin. (I was a weirdo in many regards.) Some time somebody got hold of my Latin book and wrote "Gay **** Ass" in pencil on the flyleaf. I erased it. I still have the book though, and the text is still legible. Looking at it brings up many feelings. I was lucky. I wasn't beaten up. But that abuse might not have happened had we good sex ed in school.
    You gave an example of a child being thought about same sex relationships, grand, thats a child, someone that is already bias is allot harder to convince.
    True, but that would be a matter for a topic other than "Sex Ed in Schools".
    You mentioned the anti racism campaign and weather it had any effect, Problem is someone has to identify already that they are a racism/homophobe, what ever, and also that it is wrong before those campaigns will work.
    You're right, but those ads are educating everyone. Eventually society gets a critical mass where people say "Cop on, you. Your bigotry is unacceptable." And eventually the stupid die off, and if young generations are being taught better, then you have a nice open-minded society such as the Nordic ones alluded to earlier.
    Also the more you identify people who don't share your opinions with being homphobes or racists or what ever the more you lessen the impact and the more you make it acceptable.
    One identifies homophobic or racist action as homophobic or racist. Doing so does not make it acceptable.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yellum
    Boston, I'll give you an example.

Say theres some kid and he thinks he's gay. He has parents that are homophobic and say its wrong so he doesn't get anything positive about his sexuality from them. All his peers also mouth off and say homosexuality is evil or sick.

But during one religion class or sex ed class or english class someone says "It's ok to be gay" , it might not even be from an authority figure, it might be from a peer or it might just be read from a book It could be read and not meant by the teacher but they have to read it nonetheless or maybe he just read it in the book after the teacher skipped that page.

That message "Its ok to be gay" might be the first positive thing that kid learns about his sexuality, and it might make him think he is not some outcast and that there are others like him and they are normal.

If the campaign just manages to get that one line into that kids head it would to me be a success. At the end of it all, it doesn't matter how its put across or who listens as long as that message gets aired. All the rest is just semantics and ways to get the point across and can be worked out.

And I am very positive that more than that can be communicated and more than one kid will know that being gay is not wrong.

Its a fair point, and why I would support such a campaign, because at some point in every young mans life he ages himself am I gay, and its a scary thought and its nice to know one way or the other that if you are its ok.

I stipulated that. There are lots of faults in the Irish school system. You do the best you can, of course, and you don't give up just because the initial attempts at teaching about sex in schools do it badly. When I was 12 I learned about the facts of life (intercourse -> babies) from a filthy playground rhyme. I had nobody to tell me that my nipples weren't going to turn into breasts. Get it? At least sex ed has a foot in the door here. I bet you got some answers which were denied me just because there was some discussion, however inept.

See thats the thing I didn't give a feic about at of that stuff at that time, I was racking my brain trying to figure out if I was gay, and I had no way I telling. I was seriously worried about being gay at 12 or 13. Cause I was never that keen I girls I mean its like most of the lads in my year where randy feics trying it on with anything that moved and I could never be arsed, so of course the questions of why amn't I arsed kept popping up. Took me ages to realize that you didn't have to act like a dog in heat just to straight, and that sexuality doesn't define who you are and in the end its pointless trying to categorize people into boxes. This is where being able to relationships and how to act would have helped allot more then being told if you sex you will die of VD or AIDS.
    When I was 15 or 16 I was taking Latin. (I was a weirdo in many regards.) Some time somebody got hold of my Latin book and wrote "Gay **** Ass" in pencil on the flyleaf. I erased it. I still have the book though, and the text is still legible. Looking at it brings up many feelings. I was lucky. I wasn't beaten up. But that abuse might not have happened had we good sex ed in school.True, but that would be a matter for a topic other than "Sex Ed in Schools".

Schools tough you can either remember the good times or the bad, if you don't have an good, then thats unfortunate but we all went through the above in one form or another,
    You're absolutely right. That a fairly depraved organization has control over school curriculum throughout this country is lamentable indeed. But that doesn't mean that sex-ed is bad. It means that the implementation you suffered was bad. This thread began wondering about what could be done to improve things.

Well for starters it might be better to ask kids what they want to know rather then telling them what 40-50 year old men feel kids should know. Simple fact is that if you don't teach them they will learn it themselves. Or sex ed course was writen by the teachers in or school according to DOE and the roman catholic churchsguidelines. Note once where we asked did we want to do this, not once where we give a choice on what we wanted to discuss, and hell I'm not going to talk to someone like a teacher about my personal problems, I don't think thats right anyway they arn't trined to deal with stuff like that. Its should be an outside body that would one use the school as a gathering place, shoudl be outside school hours, so no uniform, and it should be a complete stranger who knows nothing about you. Groups should be small, at most 8, no more otherwise you get cross talk and no one is listening. While i don't agree with underage drinking, if someone wants to have a few drinks during it shouldn't be a problem. Atmosphere of trust and security should be built up and it shouldn't be mixed.
    One identifies homophobic or racist action as homophobic or racist. Doing so does not make it acceptable

one must differentiate between ignorance and bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i know this doesnt have much to do what you guys are on about but im only 18 and from a young age my parents and family brought me up to know lesbian and gay as normal (not saying it isnt) but i found when i was in school my attitude towards homosexuality was completly different to my friends, where they would skit i would defend and i suppose i earned respect from that. i think that shows that it is what we are taught. obviously my friends had not been brought up with gay in thier lives, having gay family it is something that never has bothered me, i just see it as if it were heterosexual - there is no difference between straight and gay/lesbian.

i am not gay myself im just extremly open minded and all for rights lol i would say im liberal

as for the drink thing u mentioned in the last reply, my mates were all going to the park and getting really drunk but when i went out with them i didnt do that because my mum allowed me to drink in her company, she said "she would rather i got drunk with her than in a gutter on cheap cider" and i found that stopped me binge drinking, many of my mates now just drink for the sake of drinkin coz thier parents were all "u cannot drink" but my parents gave me more freedom and this stopped me from doing the stupid things my friends did i e underage sexual activity. i saw there were no rules i could brake therefore abided by what my parents wanted me to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 XtremeLpool2k4

i know this doesnt have a direct link to what you guys are on about but

i was taught from a young age that there was no difference between gay/lesbian and hetero. i have alot of gay family and even tho im not gay myself im very understanding. to me every1 is equal to men kissing is just like a man and a women kissing.

i all children should be taught this is schools it would also stop alot of bullying

also about u alcohol thing b4

my parents gave me freedom and let me drink with them, obviously they didnt like me to get blind drunk but i found because for me it was not breaking any rules i didnt get blind drunk and i didnt do stupid things sum of my mates did like sex and drugs. i think that is a major thing. my parents prefares me to drink with them rather than in a gutter with a cheap bottle of cider or lambrini, this way they knew i was ok at least. my mum used to hold regular parties for me. obviously im not spoilt coz i had rules and didnt always get my own way but i think a bit more freedom would also help to stop bullying etc because people would be free to explore and opinionate however they choose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Note once where we asked did we want to do this, not once where we give a choice on what we wanted to discuss, and hell I'm not going to talk to someone like a teacher about my personal problems, I don't think thats right anyway they arn't trined to deal with stuff like that. Its should be an outside body that would one use the school as a gathering place, shoudl be outside school hours, so no uniform, and it should be a complete stranger who knows nothing about you. Groups should be small, at most 8, no more otherwise you get cross talk and no one is listening. While i don't agree with underage drinking, if someone wants to have a few drinks during it shouldn't be a problem. Atmosphere of trust and security should be built up and it shouldn't be mixed.

That's a nice idea but how many kids are going to miss out on these kind of classes because they don't want to be seen to go to them, or because they live too far from the town for after school stuff? If you're going to go down that road, would it not be simpler to have classes with school counsellers who had been properly trained?
    Having said that, I think I'd prefer the idea of just being told about sex-ed properly, and being told that homosexuality is okay because, at that stage, I wouldn't have been happy discussing it with anyone, but at least if I'd gotten some positive messages it wouldn't have been so bad.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by fozzle
    That's a nice idea but how many kids are going to miss out on these kind of classes because they don't want to be seen to go to them, or because they live too far from the town for after school stuff? If you're going to go down that road, would it not be simpler to have classes with school counsellers who had been properly trained?
    Having said that, I think I'd prefer the idea of just being told about sex-ed properly, and being told that homosexuality is okay because, at that stage, I wouldn't have been happy discussing it with anyone, but at least if I'd gotten some positive messages it wouldn't have been so bad.

Well I'd be of the opinion that you can't let others live your life. If your serious about it you won't give a **** who goes. It shouldn't be so much a choice about weather or not you go, just about what is talked about. The Students should drive the discussion not the teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by XtremeLpool-2k4
    im only 18 and from a young age my parents and family brought me up to know lesbian and gay as normal (not saying it isnt)...there is no difference between straight and gay/lesbian.

That's just not true.

I agree that it is OK to be gay/lesbian, but it is not "normal".

Now... before you jump down my throat. Again, I'm saying being gay is OK.

I do agree that they need to teach "being gay is OK" in school. But saying it is normal? I disagree.

Its perfectly normal depending on what social dynamic you move in. Ifs far from ab normal with something like 12% of students openly gay, and 10% of the population. Whats Normal anyway, are you?

Its perfectly normal depending on what social dynamic you move in. Ifs far from ab normal with something like 12% of students openly gay, and 10% of the population. Whats Normal anyway, are you?

Humans are supposed to have sexual intercourse with the opposite sex to pass on their genes and keep the human race from becoming extinct. This is "normal".

If "normal" was being gay, we would be extinct.

Again, being gay is OK. I just think there is a distinct difference between "OK" and "normal".

I am not trying to offend anyone here, just giving my opinion.

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Humans are supposed to have sexual intercourse with the opposite sex to pass on their genes and keep the human race from becoming extinct. This is "normal".

who says? What exactly does putting a peg in a hole have to do with sexuallity. You don't have to be straight to sleep with a woman, you don't even have to be mindly attracted to someone inorder to impregnate someone.

If "normal" was being gay, we would be extinct.

Normal changes, normal isn't something thats constant, so you cannot define what normal is at any specific point in time. If I asked you is it normal for gay men to have high pitched voices and to be girly you probably would say its true, despite the fact I've never met any gay man that fit that discription.

Again, being gay is OK. I just think there is a distinct difference between "OK" and "normal".

Its ok? hmmm really is hetrosexuallity ok? Is it normal to be 100% straight. Is it a requirement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i dont think its either...
    i dont think it can be categorised with such simple terms.
    its just something that is!
    all you deep south alabama hicks should learn to accept it before sea bass comes up and does something nasty to you in the toilets

You're being unreasonable. Read some biology books.

Humans are just clever animals. Look at what the animals do.

This is "normal".

I am saying being gay is OK. I have no doubt you are capable of loving someone just as much as I am. I don't think being gay is in any way perverted.

But men and women are supposed to have sex with each other. Saying otherwise is just silly and goes in the face of all the evidence around us.

By all means be proud/whatever to be gay, but don't try to say a man having sex with a man is the same as a man and woman having sex.

You're being unreasonable. Read some biology books.

Humans are just clever animals. Look at what the animals do.

Many animals have bi-sexual tendancies.

I am saying being gay is OK. I have no doubt you are capable of loving someone just as much as I am. I don't think being gay is in any way perverted.

What the Hell are you talking about?

But men and women are supposed to have sex with each other. Saying otherwise is just silly and goes in the face of all the evidence around us.

No you're suppose to have sex with a woman, you can't speak for others. Obvious certain men arn't ment to have sex with women, otherwise they would be. Theres nothing physically stoping them.

By all means be proud/whatever to be gay, but don't try to say a man having sex with a man is the same as a man and woman having sex.

Why isn't it? If sex is purly a physical thing, then by all means people seem to get a kick out of same sex relations. If its an emotional thing then really gender is a side thing wouldn't you think, its more to do with the person.

Come on, you're just being politically correct.

So your argument is that it is normal to have sex with whoever you want?

My argument is saying that having sex with whoever you want is OK.

But I am not saying it is normal. If it is normal, than I guess 90% of the world must be wrong. Are you really that arrogant about your argument?

This is my last post on this topic.

Come on, you're just being politically correct.
    No I have an opinion that differs from yours. As for PC, only the other week I was called a facist by someone.

So your argument is that it is normal to have sex with whoever you want?
    You disagree? I thought people generally had sex with people they actually wanted to sleep with? no?

If it is normal, than I guess 90% of the world must be wrong.
    Why would they be wrong, abnormal would be sleeping with someone you didn't want to. I don't see where this wrong business is coming from.

• Advertisement

OK, I said I would not post anymore, but I have to because of your response.

You are now just misinterpreting what I am saying, obviously on purpose.

This is not a way to win an argument/convince someone.

This is defo my last post. I won't be reading your reply.

You're complete ignoring my view points. I think I'm completely bang on with the points I've made, but you don't seem to be able to grasp what I'm talking about.
    It is normal to do whats in you're heart, it is normal to be true to yourself. it would be abnormal for a gay man to sleep with a woman in much the same way it would be abnormal for a straight man to sleep with another man. Normallity one of those thigns that is relative to your viewpoint.

Johnny Versace said:
    Mammals engage in same-sex intercourse in order to propagate the species, it is true. But your use of "supposed to" and "normal" are problematic. In the first place, same-sex play of various kinds is known in other species (some closely related to us). Such play is probably not intended to propagate the species; it is play, release, a ****, whatever. With regard to our own species, it is certainly true that many people are strongly motivated to breed, and do so sucessfully. Others are not so strongly motivated; some may breed, and some may not. Since your argument is about what the genes are motivating us to do, it would seem that if a person's genes don't motivate him or her to breed, then that lack of strong desire might well be a natural part of his or her genetic makeup.

It's not appropriate to call heterosexuality "normal". It's common. It's useful, from a genetic point of view. But the opposite of "normal" in this kind of discourse is "abnormal" which quickly leads poor thinkers into "wrong" and "sinful". Much non-heterosexual preference in our species appears to be inborn. Gay people are a minority; homosexual preference a common feature in a not-inconsiderable percentage of any human population. They are not broken, or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dr.Breaky

Being gay is not a natural occurrence. Its an unfortunate mix of genetic malformation and poor social construction, an accident of birth and a symptom of social decay. The prospect of self-actualisation whilst afflicted is minimal - not because society’s "prejudices" constitute barriers to your deviant desires but because you are all very sick and in need for radical treatment and re-education...

I thought i was alone in my opinions, with every social forum creeping with pinko carpers, finding the courage to rally in the defeat of the pink plague proved difficult to muster.

But at last I've found a comrade, a friend with similar ideological and rightious leanings..........Boston I forcefully salute you.

Together we'll firebomb the George, waxing for good the chests of the Chelsea boys. We'll mine the paths of their parades, scattering their "pride" down Dame street. We'll oppose their depraved unions, saving what children they've plucked from a life of confused misery - and do other stuff to generally stop fast their claims for social parity.

Then, when the war is done, and the queers all dead, we'll start on the blacks - or jews instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Er, what you posted about firebombing and killing people is now a criminal matter. Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dr.Breaky
    Being gay is not a natural occurrence.
    Last Saturday I drove (in a motorised vehicle) to Galway for a pleasant evening with my girlfriend. We cooked food on a device for heating food, ate it from plates using metal implements, watched some kind of moving picture story on a small electronic box in the corner, found our way upstairs using artificial light that appears to come from nowhere, turned on some kind of electrified blanket on the bed and had sex.

The only one of these events that is a "natural occurrence" is the last. And that isn't even all that natural given that we used some form of magic device that pretty much ensures that procreation can't occur. Am I some kind of deviant? I'd go for electric shock therapy I suppose, except that wouldn't be "natural" either.

The last line of your post (the one about the blacks and jews) obviously confirms you to be an idiot. Welome to bansville, population you.

And his very first post was a vitriolic ignorant tirade, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Dr. Breaky was either a very poor troll, or he was trying to satirise Boston (maybe in poor taste). In either case he just shows how easy the people on some forums are to wind up. I wouldnt usually have any reason to look at this forum, but i guess you need to lighten up and not take every poster so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

*HEAVE*

Back on topic. Sex Ed is far from the only area that isn't taught well in schools but in a society where implying that someone is gay is considered an insult, it's certainly an important one. In my primary school we were given sex ed my a rep from Tampax! I mean, come on, what in the name of jeff is it being left to sanitary company reps to educate children on sexuality? To be fair, I probably had it a lot better than most because the woman that gave this course to our school was extremely good. I'll never forget her telling us that when we started to develop pubic hair not to worry about it because "you won't need to go to the barbershop and ask for a trim!".

That said, there was nothing said about anything other than heterosexuality in that lecture. Like so many other things (manners, the correct way to behave in society, proper std awareness, drug education etc) sexuality is one of those things that kids are left to pick up from their peer groups as opposed to being taught by those responsible for educating them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dr.Breaksy

[Yellum]what you posted about firebombing and killing people is now a criminal matter. Banned.[/Yellum]

Being knew to Boards, i wasn't to know how unintuitive members are and how pitifully prown to self-protective administrative tyranny and knee-jerk the admins are. Clearly I was taking the piss, but because therein i mentioned something illegal i was banned?? Yellum you're a Muppet. Silverside agrees.

[Sceptre]Last Saturday I drove (in a motorised vehicle etc[/Sceptre]

Human utilization of tools in a manner conducive to our moral and ethical programming is in fact, what i termed, "a natural occurrence". Had you driven your car deliberately into the playground of some playing kid and rammed him on purpose, you would have committed an unnatural act that fly's in the face of our moral code and be properly castigated as such by society and thrown in jail.
    Substitute the above words "car" for cock and "playground" for arse and your analogies point makes some sense.

Im sure the criminal nature of that scenario will not be lost on yellum, and ill be returned "banishville"(lame) - but if the purpose of this forum is the peddling of prissy pc sentiment only, ignoring the voice, arguments and real concerns of the homophobic then i flip my finger and say **** you all.

Advertisement