Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing an Oracle database and mySql at home

Options
  • 06-04-2004 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Lads, Im lost when I try to do this, I keep getting majorly confused by all the possible downloads and the different options. Can someone please point me at the right downloads I need to set up a simple Oracle database at home and then just write SQL statements to manipulate it. I basically wanna brush up on my SQL over the summer break from college.

Any good tutorials would be nice too. And yes I have googled and thats what has me confused!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Oracle home page has a download for the last few versions:

http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/database/oracle10g/index.html

Oracle is a big enterprise rdbms so it's probably quite a large download. I think theres a tutorial on the Oracle site somewhere.

I use PL/SQL Developer as a front end to Oracle at work and find it to be very good.

Likewise MySQL has a downloads page:

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.0.html

MySQL is a lot lighter and should be a considerably smaller download. The documentation section is quite good.

Just pick the correct version for your OS in both cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

If you're only looking to brush up on SQL statements and the like, you would be much better sticking with MySQL. As mentioned above, it's much lighter, much less time to download and probably much less complicated to get up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by Yerac
    much less complicated to get up and running.

testify brother. Definitely the case, the sys admins in college shuddered at the thought of helping me install Oracle. MySQL was easier. and using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Yeah, Oracle is completely over the top for what you want. That said, is MySQL fully featured in it's release quality version yet (Views, nested queries, etc)? Don't rule out other possibilities, such as PostgreSQL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Last time I looked Views were still only penciled in for 5.0 or greater. Currently 5.0 is just a development version.

Sub-queries are fully supported with sub-queries in the FROM clause added in 4.1 (Alpha). These can give you most of the functionality of Views anyway.

The design philosophy of MySQL seems to be that it avoids adding heavier weight features unless there is popular demand.

Oracle is a bit of a beast alright. I'm currently building queries that have to run on tables that are 20Gb+ each ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement