Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP Server

Options
  • 06-04-2004 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if I can run my PC as an IIS server so I can write asp and run it on my own machine without connecting to the college server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

if you have WinNT/Win2K/WinXP then yes as long as IIS installed.
    If you need to install it can be found under Add/Remove Programs->Windows Components

If you have Win98/Win95/WinME(?) then I think you need to install PWS(Personal Web Service)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

There is a big explanation on how to do this at www.w3schools.com

Just click on learn ASP on the left hand side menubar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Also, afaik one of the XP Home limitations is that it doesn't allow the IIS component to be installed.

Keep away from PWS if at all possible and if your machine is connected to the internet while running IIS make sure IIS is fully patched up to date. The number of ancient (and new) IIS exploits/attacks still floating around is still quite high.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You need XP professional for you to have IIS on your PC.
    You can get a hack on the net for the home edition alright, I had it working but u are better off getting Professional installed.

As the lads said 2k, NT have it on their install CD's

PWS for 98

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

you can get iis to run on xp home-it's a bit of work and really not worth it.
    also, you can go down the road of chilisoft (run asp on non-windows platforms..); again: more work and effort and money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Ok I set the server up like it said on w3schools.com but I still can't get asp to run. When I type in the address of the file in Internet Explorer it comes up with the source code. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

you need to associate .asp with the server...
    (i thought that was set by default. read the installed help file)

edit: assuming you've attempted to access the page from another client browser (http://webserv/page.asp) ...

It says I need Windows TCP/IP Protocol and Connectivity Utilities installed before I set up IIS. Any idea how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

What OS are you using?

XP pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q299357

or if you have "Local Area Connection" in your Network Connections (in the control panel), right click it and choose "Properties", then "install", then "Protocol" then tcp/ip.

Advertisement