Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The North Quiz

Options
  • 06-04-2004 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

The North Quiz....

The rules:

1.Someone posts a question, whoever answers it correctly posts the next question.
    2. Please Quote the question you are answering in case we have simultaneous answers.

thanks

First question :

Name the FIVE Nobel prize winners from the North?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Trimble and Hume
    Seamus Heany

I tried finding the other 2 on google but it was too hard.

I gave up when the search "northern irish nobel prize winners" on google, didnt produce satisfactory results.

Seing as i posted 3/5 of the answer, i think i should get to post the next question;

As the previous one was so difficult.

How many counties are there in N.Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Right Jimothy....6 counties Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Tyrone and Fermanagh!

As for Johnny's question wasnt it them two dolls that got it for peace again back in the 70's or something Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan, i think thats what their names were, i may be wrong you can shed some light on it Johnny.

Going on from Jims question i want to know: How do they put out oil fires on them rigs in the sea should that become a problem? I always found this fascinating! Anyways good luck.

Btw johnny shouldnt put this as a sticky. Its too far up and no one ever cares to look up there. I normally go stright to the last sticky and find the most recent post. However its your choice!

Whats it got to do with the North i hear you say but think about it...North Sea we have Loads of oil rigs! Plus H&W fixes and builds them so its a common interest for us Northies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

not really sure of this answer but goodle has yet to fail me

It may come as a big surprise, but in most cases they don't put out the fire. At least not like in the movies. Unlike the movie Hellfighters, John Wayne doesn't turn up with a stick of dynamite. There is no explosion which results in oil-slicked rig workers cheering at an erupting spout of gas. They may have done that in the old days, but these days everything is a lot more boring.

In the vast majority of cases, putting out the fire is a low priority. There have even been cases where a well has been set on fire deliberately as a safety measure. Oil wells often produce large amounts of poisonous gasses, notably hydrogen sulfide, in addition to hydrocarbons. Ironically, if Saddam hadn't set the Kuwaiti oil wells on fire during the first Gulf War, in some ways that would have been a bigger problem for the coalition. A lot of wells in the Middle East produce copious amounts of H2S.

Back to our story. The fire isn't put out because the fire isn't the real problem. The problem is the large quantities of oil and gas spewing out into the environment. There are two main ways of stopping the flow.

The quickest, cheapest and easiest method is to deal with the problem at surface. If the top bit of well (the wellhead) is accessible, then the normal procedure is to make a clean cut on the pipe and stick on a new valve. Close this valve and the oil stops gushing and the fire goes out. The most difficult part of this sort of operation is clearing away the debris from the burnt-out rig. This requires fire fighters, plenty of water and/or foam and all sorts of heavy equipment. Often a large pipe will be lowered over the wellhead. This is designed not to put out the fire but to direct the flame away from the guys working close by. After the first Gulf War the main difficulty in the Kuwaiti oilfields was digging through several meters of solidified oil that had pooled around the wellheads.

If that's not a viable option, the alternative is a relief well. In this case a new well is drilled some distance away from the inferno. The idea is to tap into the problem well hundreds or thousands of feet underground. If you manage that, you can control the problem well from a safe distance. You just pump in drilling mud of sufficient density to stop the flow of oil and gas. Once again, stop the flow of oil and gas and the fire goes out.

now my question is rather simple to answer but it should be fun to answer....

name the 80's punk from belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

name the 80's punk from belfast?

punk band -> stiff little fingers...

Name the famous Pub in the North which claims to be the "highest pub in Ireland"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well drugs to patron ratio - i'd say the bound for boston is the highest pub in ireland :D

• Advertisement

Aint it the Ponderosa on the glenshane pass?

Also joe Google is your friend! But yeah thats how they do it.

Now which town is most famous for the longest widest street in the NORTH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Vlad Drac

That would be Cookstown as far as I am aware of.

Now, for the story on why Cookstown has the widest street in the North.

"Many moons ago when Cookstown was being built up from a few scattered Isolated Dwellings to the town we know and cherish today, Lord Bastardly and his merry men invaded it. Using a giant Sausage to probe the inhabitants out of the beloved town (and to keep his army alive), Lord Bastardly conquered the town in no time at all. However he soon realised that getting rid of the sausage would be now more of a challenge than the taking of the town. Therefore he had the ingenious idea of building the town around the wide sausage, allowing the workers to feast on the marvelous creation during there tea and lunch breaks to keep up there strength. Of course lord Bastardly had built his town in know time at all .. but the long, wide street is now a tribute to the his marvelous idea and the finest pork produce on earth! His legacy lives on however and Cookstown is held in high regard when it comes to the best sausages in Ulster and beyond! His sausage craftmanship and magic recipe has been passed on using chinese whispers in the town (so no other town can steal it) since the day the town was created, hence the reason the sausages have decreased in size..."

Cut and pasted from a Cookstown tourist website thingy...

My question .... In what year did the Odyssey open in Belfast?

Originally posted by Vlad Drac

My question .... In what year did the Odyssey open in Belfast?

First Four Swans Festival (in May) - is in which council district ?

Bah you fools and your google. I can inform you with my bushtucker knowledge of n.ireland that the 1st 4 swans festival takes place in Ballycastle, which is in the council district of Moyle.

THink it might be something to do with the children of lir, i.e. evil bitch turns the 4 kids into the swans, they do alot of flying about and then they land of the Ballygowen lake (like in the ad) and turn back to normal people. Yeh!

Stick of dyamite? Didnt John Wayne drive a bulldozer with a trusty sheet of 'fire proof' metal stuck to the front up to the bottom of the burning rig, joe?

Despite the deliciousness of Lord Bastardly's sausage, and the ensuing cookstown sausages, i've dissented from the ranks, and am now a proud advocate of "shaws of limerick, fine quality meat products"

My question; How much did the M1 initially cost to build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

I think it was like half a million per mile!

Now where was the Legend Muzz born???

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chada
    Now where was the Legend Muzz born???

Cookstown...

Bertie Peacock is a mascot for which Irish League Football Club?

*1000 posts*

Originally posted by Johnny El Fox
    Cookstown...

:rolleyes:

Despite common belief cookstown does not have a hospital. Unless he was born in a field (we'll never know), i'd guess dungannon (he's a tyrone man through and through!)

Congratulations on your 1000 posts johnny.

Which section of the Bann River, upper or lower, flows into the sea at Coleraine?

Contrary to your beliefs Mr_Roger_Bongos but i was actually born in Cookstown did anyone actually mention a hospital? As for your stupidity did you not seem to realise that if indeed Johnny_the_fox was incorrect i would have alerted him to his mistake and made him alter his answer. So get that right round you.

However another point i wish to point out to your blindness was the severe lack and disrespect to Johnny_the_fox by ignoring his question about Bertie the Peacock, you believe you can just skip peoples questions in this quiz...not on my shift bucko!

But to answer Johnny_the_fox's question bertie the peacock is indeed Coleraine's mascot and for all those who didnt no Bertie Peacock was a celtic player that saved the Coleraine club from going into debt by arranging a friendly between celtic and coleraine.

I do believe that the answer to Mr_Roger_Bongo's question is UPPER but i would not be 100% sure about that.

Name the Northern Ireland company that is currently one of the worlds leading companies in the manufacturing of products (i.e. patches, gum etc.) that helps those to quit smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

Nicobrand, muzz old boy.

Now, an easym one as it is friday and the brain cells are needed for more strenuous activities.

What activity was said to boost the accuracy of laparoscopic surgeons by 37% ?

P.S. Jonny im coming over to break your fullstop button ! :p

In the words of Muzz "DOT DOT ****ING DOT"

Originally posted by The_Boy_Bongos
    Congratulations on your 1000 posts johnny
    thanks

Originally posted by Chada
    What activity was said to boost the accuracy of laparoscopic surgeons by 37% ?

Playing computer games.................. -> what that got to do with the north?? :confused:

What club does Pat Jennings son play for?

the answer to Mr_Roger_Bongo's question is UPPER but i would not be 100% sure about that

Its actually lower. Bit of a trick question my father came up with! He's a crafty one. And so the 'crafty barnado'.

My severest apologies to our all knowing administrator.

18 years literally in the same class, and theres still so much to learn about the artist formally known as dermot. Was it a home birth then? Im sure the midwife got a shock when she saw you ;)

Man she nearly came in her pants when she seen me...shes lucky she didnt get a roggering there and then!

Pat Jennings son plays for Spurs. (I have been informed it is indeed Derry City however hes listed as being with Spurs and on loan to Kingstonian)

Who is the recently crown Irish League Winners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Vlad Drac

Linfield. yay

What is the average amount of waste disposed of per household in the North per year? Answer must be converted to pounds rather than kilograms just to be a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Originally posted by Vlad Drac
    Linfield. yay

What is the average amount of waste disposed of per household in the North per year? Answer must be converted to pounds rather than kilograms just to be a bastard.

rofl at that question

Advertisement