Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suck or Blow , O matron

Options
  • 04-04-2004 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I have a athlon xp 2600+ and a 128mb rad9200 and some other stuff. The only cooling I have is a fan over my cpu and a side extractor that seems to be blowing out cold air.It seems I should be blowing in cold air rather than taking it out.
    How can I rectify this problem without modifing my case.
    The first successful answer will have my first-borns hand in marriage an a 1/2 acer of bog land.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

If it's mounted using screws you could just take it off, turn it round and screw it on again backwards (fnar fnar). :) If it's riveted, you'd have to pop them off and replace them with small nuts or plastic rivets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

The screws only go in one way, can I just buy a lager more powerful fan to blow air into my comp to replace it.
    If so whats a good recomendation for a nace fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

You've loads of choices there. First, measure the fan unit so you get the right size. Then you'd want to decide if you want a quiet fan or a turbo-charged tornado on the side of your case. Places like HiTiDE, overclock or Elara do all sorts of bits and bobs. You could also pop into some of the high street stores if you only want to get one, it might be more cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

OK thaks very much for your help, you can have my first-born but I tell ya that land is currsed i tell ya currsed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i did the oppsite, i use a cheiftec dragon case and side panel fan was blowing air into the pc , i flipped over the fan so it blew air out of the side and i seem to get better temps. the way i have it set up is 2 in the front blowing air in, one at the side blowing out, 2 at the back again blowing out and a Aero jet 7 for cpu cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

the way i have it set up is 2 in the front blowing air in, one at the side blowing out, 2 at the back again blowing out and a Aero jet 7 for cpu cooling.

Yea thats the best way to have it, nice air flow through the case. I found its better to have an extractor fan than an intake........ a few reasons, less dust getting into your PC, slightly better temps.

You could pop in another fan that would blow air in and leave that one the way it is. Unless your overclocking, you should be ok with only one case fan TBH..... no need for extra noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

basic rule - suck air in at bottom of case, blow air out of top of case. - coz hot air rises. That way ya helps mother nature instead of working against her.

I'd also have suck at front of case and blow at back of case since most the dust will be at the back......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

basic rule - suck air in at bottom of case, blow air out of top of case. - coz hot air rises. That way ya helps mother nature instead of working against her.

lol, cant say i ever thought of that..... good point!!
    I'd also have suck at front of case and blow at back of case since most the dust will be at the back......

Yea makes total sence. Also some PSU's have an extractor fan sucking air from the case (dual fan models) which is counter productive if your blowing in air at the top right beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

when you buy a pc-you have the psu fan sucking air out of the case, if its over heating then fit a second fan sucking out at the back,

i really don't see the point of blowing air into a case-
    if your sucking air out then the air pressure in the case will drop and air in the room will force its way into your pc case.
    also pressure is porpotional to temperature so having the case at lower air pressure then the room, means that its also a lower temperature the the room, happy days

by the way you didn't mention if its overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah but then you gotta wonder where the air is forcing itself in from.

i was warned by a chap to try to keep the air pressure relatively equal other wise it will come in via your cd drives which apparently isn't healthy, could be a load of bollix but anyway i have a better reason, sucking in air allows your to control where the cool air is coming in from so it means you can direct cool air over your hard drive or graphics card instead of it leaking in all over the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by mukki
    when you buy a pc-you have the psu fan sucking air out of the case, if its over heating then fit a second fan sucking out at the back,

i really don't see the point of blowing air into a case-
    if your sucking air out then the air pressure in the case will drop and air in the room will force its way into your pc case.
    also pressure is porpotional to temperature so having the case at lower air pressure then the room, means that its also a lower temperature the the room, happy days

With conventional air-cooling you're never going to ahve the case temperature lower than the room temperature.
    You might get them very close, but the room temp will always be lower, simply because the case air is what gets heated first, in a confined space, which is then dumped out into the room (a far larger volume of air) which can dissipate the heat better, so the overall temp is lower.
    But you're on thr ight track with pressure.
    You should try and have a 120mm intake fan running slow, and maybe a 120/92/2x80mm + the 80mm PSU fan extracting at the back.
    They'll all do their part to get cool air into the case, but there'll be more suction taking that air back out again.
    Then again, heatpipe case tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by magick
    i did the oppsite, i use a cheiftec dragon case and side panel fan was blowing air into the pc , i flipped over the fan so it blew air out of the side and i seem to get better temps.
    i've been thinking of doing that with the case fan thats built into my chieftec dragon sidepanel...
    and it has the added bonus of blowing warm air onto your legs

think i'll give it a lash this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    yeah but then you gotta wonder where the air is forcing itself in from.

i was warned by a chap to try to keep the air pressure relatively equal other wise it will come in via your cd drives which apparently isn't healthy, could be a load of bollix but anyway i have a better reason, sucking in air allows your to control where the cool air is coming in from so it means you can direct cool air over your hard drive or graphics card instead of it leaking in all over the case

good point data, you don't want an expensive dvd rewriter also working as a incomming ari filter,although this will only happen when the drawer is open.

SyxPak your right too, (why do i even bother posting) although if there was no source of heat the inside of the case would be lower pressure and hence cooler, but the difference is probably be less then 1 degree

anyway there was no mention of overheating in the original post

so i think he should leave it alone and give me that 1/2 acre of bog land, i need the turf for the winter, pc wont keep me warm

Advertisement