Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying ram

Options
  • 03-04-2004 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

im running a dell 8200 and i wanna buy some extra ram for it... was looking on shop4memory.com great site but even just looking at the ddr ram there are lots of diffferent types eg. PC2100-PC4400 how do i find out which type i have on my pc? and also whats the difference in these different types?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

this should be a faq somewhere!

go to crucial.com/uk and input your exact PC spec it will tell you what type of memory you need. they have competitive prices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Your Dell 8200 is more than likely running RDRAM PC800. Check that out using Sisoft Sandra

4400 is faster than 2100 but unless you are overclocking you just need to match what is already in your system. follow the instructions above and you'll be OK.

Originally posted by silverside
    4400 is faster than 2100 but unless you are overclocking you just need to match what is already in your system. follow the instructions above and you'll be OK.

Dell's are almost impossible to overclock if not impossible. I have a 8200 and its running with RD RAM. As Silverside said, you'll need to get matching pairs. I think Dell used Samsung RD RAM PC800 184-pin. If ya want 512Mb get 2 x 256Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 self_oppressed

thanks for the help but i went to crucial.com/uk and they have no listing for a dimension 8200 but i think its rdram alright

• Advertisement

yes i think thats right

from google search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dell+dimension+8200+ram&btnG=Search

first result says PC800 RDRAM

Go to www.shop4memory.com

Free delivery and good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 64,856 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Careful now. I bought a PC for work in January of last year and it was a Dell Dimension 8200 with a P4b 2.4 processor and a mobo with the Intel 850E chipset (533FSB). This system obviously came with PC1066 RDRAM and not PC800 RDRAM

Easiest thing to do is go to dell.ie and go to support and then enter your service tag into the webpage (your service tag is on a sticker somewhere on the pc)

This will tell you exactly what spec your machine is, including chipset, cpu and memory :)

Cheap ba$tards didnt use a 8250 case:D Get Sisoft Sandra and make sure of what you have or check using the service tag as unkel said

• Registered Users Posts: 64,856 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Originally posted by Dempsey
    Get Sisoft Sandra and make sure of what you have

Yeah that other way :)

Or take out a stick and enter the code on the stick into google...

• Advertisement
Advertisement