Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skate boarding in wicklow

Options
  • 02-04-2004 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

i have been skate boarding for some time now and i live in county wicklow
    there are absalutly no skate parks around were i live im thinking about apealing to the council.
    does any body have any tips on getting ideas past the big guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

Check my site www.geocities.com/irishskateparkforum
    Theres loads of info in there the consolidated document outlines some good ideas to get the ball rolling. Good luck ..........you'll need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

'Word' to your mother:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 the savior

Originally posted by Doctor Funfrock
    'Word' to your mother:D
    what do you mean by that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

According to the hitchikers guide guide to the galaxy........ "word to your mother" means 'yes indeed this is true'!
    I don't think he meant any offence to your mum then again maybe he did what do I know!!??

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Doctor Funfrock, no spam here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lobsterstag

Rob Benson lives in Wicklow dont he? he is so good! SWITCH HEEL the leason gap!

Rob B is currently living in Barcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lobsterstag

oh right, good for him, i dont know why i thought that did he used to live in wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

He used to live in Greystones - went to my school.

• Advertisement

the only pro ive met is wayne gallagher he taught me how to drop in
    hes really cool

He's a good mate and I really admire what he's done and is still doing for Irish skateboarding and a lot of kids throughout the country who have something to be enthusiastic about and devote a lot of their energy to.

You're all incredibly talented and it's great fun watching you progress so quickly and fly past us, outshining us older lads and get rewarded for it by having people like Wayne looking out for you and seeing that you get rewarded for things we never would have imagined were possible when we were kids our. I believe our first pro to get a sponsorship deal was Jonno Whelan (corrections anyone?). Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we skated handrails like cavemen ;)

Sponsorship deals were next to non-existent here for so long and we had so many talented people dispersed around the place simply looking at the UK and the USA for sponsorship and a place to enjoy doing what they love.

With next to no facilities/parks/ramps/quick demo setups here where we could go to enjoy doing what we do or just to watch; we constantly found ourselves looking out, these days we're focused on what counts - where we are - right here and developing what we have in place with the people here!
    When I look back on it all I find it very entertaining listening to kids complaining about a lack of facilities because I saw it when it was far worse and it has gotten better and sure, it's not great but progress is continuing to be made and will be made.

2 new shops have opened up recently here in Dublin to reflect the continued growth of skateboarding. One in Drogheda and one in Swords.

Both shops are being run by some friends so I won't go pimping anymore and will simply ask you to show some support to them if you're out that way and have the means!

Advertisement